Thread: How can i use Sleep Timer in Windows 7

How can i use Sleep Timer in Windows 7

I am having an LG Desktop. I am watching a lot of movies on my system every night. But sometimes i go to sleep while watching the movie so the system continues to be on the whole night or till the time i get up. I want a solution like the option we have on the television. I do not want my system to Shut Down, Hibernate, or Standby what i want is I would like to dial in the amount of time before Windows puts the computer into Sleep mode. Suppose the movie is of 2 hrs so i would like the computer to put itself to sleep in 2hrs and 5min or as i input ?

Re: How can i use Sleep Timer in Windows 7

It can be achieved by using different tricks, You can use the 'ping' command trick to emulate the sleep command. But if you want to use it in windows 2003 you can use it by the sleep command itself. Most of the operating systems are providing such command in batch files to sleep, or wait for a certain number of seconds. This is great in that batch files can display text, allowing you time to read before continuing. Or, batch files may wait a few seconds in order to connect to other resources. I do not think Windows 7 come with such a command.

This type of basic functionality has been missed very long from Windows Media Center. But now you can find a software which helps you to achieve this. You now don't Worry about putting your PC to sleep . It allows you to put your PC to sleep in 30 minutes or in 60 minutes or you can also customize the sleep timer according to your needs. you can download this from thegreenbutton.com

I think that this is a quite simple. Also if you are using the windows for such a long period then you must know all these stuffs. Just follow these steps
    1. Go to start click on run
    2. Type "shutdown -s -t 20000" with out the double quotes
    Where
    -s stands for shutdown
    and
    -t stands for time

You can achieve this by downloading the vista shutdown timer it says that it is made for vista but it works fine with the windows 7. It has a large amount of features that are required by the user nowadays it also as an OSD that an on screen display the onscreen display displays the remaining time.

first of all i would like to thanks you all for all your valuable reply. I tried using the both the software but found the Alarm Clock Pro 9 to be very useful it also warn me before 20 seconds . It also has an on screen display which is also very useful.