Thread: Issues with yahoo on Ubuntu

Issues with yahoo on Ubuntu

Hey people, i recently transferred myself to Linux from Windows XP. I have Ubuntu 9.10 karmic koala installed on my system. Well yahoo used to work fine on my previous operating system. But i am getting a couple of problems with yahoo on Ubuntu. First of all i am not able to log in to yahoo sometimes for no reason at all according to me. The user name and password both are correct, yet i get the error that says i have entered them wrong. Well the second issue is with empathy. When i try to see someone on a webcam on yahoo using empathy, i click on their invite and i can't see anything. Empathy lets me log in to yahoo but when i go to check mail i get the wrong user name and password message. Please help me resolve the issues as soon as possible guys.

Re: Issues with yahoo on Ubuntu

Well i think i can help you with your webcam issue at least for sure.. From pidgin you can open any messenger and accordingly make appropriate settings for the particular mail server. For viewing the webcam, first you need to download a webcam manager such as cheese or HasciiCam. I use Cheese which is a very easy to use application. You can simple get it by installing the gnome theme. You can also get it by typing the following command in the terminal :
    sudo apt-get install cheese
    After installation is over you can launch it from graphics. You can get a lot of cool graphic effects with cheese so i suggest you to give it a try.

You need to use a webcam manager like cheese or Geekast to view and manage webcams on your Linux distribution. And the mail issue is perhaps an issue with cookies or profile if you are using a browser such as Firefox. If cookies are allowed which i assume obviously are then you should try clearing history and cookies. If it doesn't work then you should rename your Firefox settings folder and it will create a new profile for you. Try disabling some of the add-on's that you might have running such as No script. Hope this helps.

I am using a dell laptop with Ubuntu. i had a dell webcam manager working with my operating system as well i used cheese which works great in my opinion. You just need to install cheese for all the webcam management you need. You will get lots of cool options too with it which is a added bonus. As for your second problem it seems to be a browser related issue. Try using some different browser and see if the situation is same. Clear the cookies,history,cache. Do you have the latest version of java and flash installed on your system? make sure that is the case. I had unnecessary plugin installed by a media player which used to play havoc with my browser leading to issues such as yours. I uninstalled it and i have not faced any problems since then.

Hope you have installed the Ubuntu-restricted-extras package from the repository. Make sure this has the latest versions of java and flash in them. This could be a possible reason for you not being able to log in yahoo mail. Try clearing the old cookies from your browser options. Old cookies can create such kind of problems. You can create a new profile for Firefox. Do the following at the terminal after closing Firefox :
    cd ~
    mv .mozilla .mozilla.old
    and open Firefox. You will need to again setup all your bookmarks and connection settings as before. You can restore your old profile as follow in case this doesn't work and you want your old bookmarks back,
    cd ~
    rm .mozilla
    mv .mozilla.old .mozilla
    Also try using Pidgin as a client to log into yahoo to chat with your friends. Use a webcam manager like Cheese for all webcam related things and you should be fine.

Hey thanks a lot guys for all your suggestions. Calvin it seems your suggestion to use the terminal has worked. I had also cleared my old cookies. This seems to have solved the problem and I'll take it for now. I didn't have noscript installed on my Firefox so i don't think that was causing the issue. Good news on the webcam front as well as i started using Pidgin and Cheese which solved that problem for me. I could also access my mail server from Pidgin using custom settings. I gave geekast a try but didn't find it easy to use so i am sticking to cheese for the time being for webcam related things.