Thread: Need to know about conhost.exe running in Windows 7!

Need to know about conhost.exe running in Windows 7!

Hey, I have a query to know about the process running in the background of the Windows 7 which i have recently installed by replacing the Windows XP. A process about which i can not found the detail of the "conhost.exe" which according to me is not running in the previous OS i was using. So any one know about the same can help me by defining the use of it. Is it harmful for my system?. Any help may be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Re: Need to know about conhost.exe running in Windows 7!

Hi, This process is use to help the drag and drop option the windows 7 which was broke up every time in the Windows vista. SO this time Microsoft design this process to help the drag and drop option of the windows 7. It is completely legal executable file and running from the system32 folder. It contain the signature of the Microsoft. So keep it running in the background. Thanks.

As you look into the command console in the Windows Vista that they have the same scrollable as in the windows xp and they even wont allow the drop of any thing into console. But in the windows 7 it works fine and give the user to ability to drop any thing. The previous version also does not support the theme with the console but in the Windows 7 it support the theme. This is all because of the "conhost.exe". It will be helpful to understand about the same. Bye

This process is sitting between the CSRSS and cmd.exe which allow to fix the problem related to the previous version. CSRSS are used in the Vista which is not working with the theme and the drag and drop option but now in the windows 7 conhost.exe work as interface between CSRSS and cmd.exe to overcome the drawback of the Vista so that it can give better look to the scrollbar as it was not in the earlier version. Thats all i can help you regarding the same.I hope you like it. Thanks

It is a Console Window Host which is the part of the Microsoft Corporation for the Operating System which is nothing but the hidden file of the system. It is located in the %SYSTEM% and of the size 270,848 bytes. If you delete it or disable it then you computer might be at risk and can not work properly. No need to uninstall it just use it and enjoy it. Thank you

If you are not satisfied with the above answer the you can yourself check the property of the conhost.exe in the system32 folder. Just go to the same folder and then right click on the conhost.exe and the click on the the property. Now a window will open and give the specification regarding the same. If you click on the detail property the you can clearly see that ComSpec is set to cmd.exe, which is a clear indication that it is hosting the console. Thank you

OK... so I understand the reasons why conhost.exe exists and what it does.... but my questions is: When should it be running?

I have conhost.exe start running at various times... I will keep open procexp from sysinternals. And every once in awhile it will start running.

When I first stated beta testing Windows 7 last February (2009), this process freaked me out--as there was no information on it at the time.

So now, great I am happy is a legitimate part of Windows 7, but if it is running when I am not using cmd.exe, should I be alarmed?

thanks,
    p

I have this problem as well. Why is it reasonable to have over 30 instances of conhost.exe operating simultaneously? It is a new phenomenon. I am clueless. What do I do to resolve this? At 48K each instance it is not a problem, but sometimes at 1200K per instance it takes a ton of resources, not literally of course. Any help would be greatly appreciated.