Thread: Kill Unresponsive Programs in Linux Operating System

Kill Unresponsive Programs in Linux Operating System

Can anyone give me details and steps to follow while Killing Unresponsive Programs in Linux. As I am new user in Linux Operating System and currently using Ubuntu 9.10, I am not having more knowledge about it. So, if there is anyone who uses Linux Operating System regularly and have more knowledge about it, then please help me to get these details. Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Andrzej; 22-12-2009 at 12:52 PM.

Re: Kill Unresponsive Programs in Linux Operating System

Hello, you want to Stop Unresponsive Programs in Linux Operating System then you can make use of the System Monitor for this. For that you need to use the System Monitor tool which is similar to the Windows Task manager utility. It is quiet similar to the Task manager and gives information about the current state of the computer system. If you want to close any process then you can use Processes tab for it, which will Stop the process. If you stop the process then the execution of the process would be stopped and if you use kill then it would close it completely.

Hello, I am regular user of the Linux operating system as you will able to solve any problem by just typing the commands. So, I have some commnad line idea to Kill Unresponsive Programs in Linux Operating System. For entering these commands you can make use of the terminal or by pressing control key + Alt key and F1 key you can use virtual terminal.

Code:
    kill <processID>
    Here processID is related to the id of that particular process which you want to kill. You can again move to your GUI system by pressing Control key + Alt key + F7 key.

I think this is quiet simple thing in Linux operating system. I mostly use the ‘xkill’ command to kill Unresponsive Programs in Linux Operating System. As we always use the GUI system, the xkill command would help you with mouse pointer. When you make use of this xkill command you need to click on the application which you don't want to run. So, after clicking on that process you will able to kill that process.

I have two ways for you to Kill Unresponsive Programs in Linux Operating System. First one would be to use the ‘pkill’ and other one is ‘pgrep’ command. Sometime it may happen that we don't know the process ID then you can kill that particular process by the use of process name or sometime you may need to analyze the different processes for finding out the problematic one. So, if you want to kill the process with the help of process name then you can use the pkill command as follows:
    Code:
    pkill firefox
    But if you don't have the process id and wanted to know that then you can simply make use of the pgrep command. Then you can make use of that process ID to kill that particular process.

For Killing Unresponsive Programs in Linux Operating System you can make use of the following different technique:

• ‘xkill’ command
    • ‘killall’ command
    • ‘pkill’ and ‘pgrep’ commands
    • ‘kill’ command
    • System Monitor Tool