Thread: Computer does not shut down after upgrading to Windows 7

Computer does not shut down after upgrading to Windows 7

My computer was previously loaded with Windows Vista and now I have recently upgraded to Windows 7. But, the computer does not shut down after upgrading to Windows 7. Sometimes I get an error-screen and many a times the screen turns black. Many of the times the desktop freezes and some times on shut down, it gives me an option to start Windows in safe mode. I cannot understand why this is happening? Due to all these problems I have to turn the switch off the computer by directly disconnecting the power supply.
    Last edited by Felix46; 22-12-2009 at 03:44 AM.

Install the chipset drivers for the motherboard

I guess that you have not installed the chip set drivers for the motherboard after upgrading to Windows 7. That is why your computer may not be shutting down after upgrading to Windows 7. Find out the drivers that are required for the motherboard on your system with Windows 7and install them. Restart the computer after the installation and try to shut down after that. This must hopefully solve the problem.

Install the operating system again

There has been some problem during the upgradation of Windows 7. This may the problem why the computer does not shut down after upgrading to Windows 7. I suppose that you will have to format the system and then use a bootable DVD from where you could install the operating system again. Sometimes upgrading errors do occur because it is done online and even a small error in connection can create corrupt files in the system.

modify the POWER OPTIONS menu

The computer does not shut down after upgrading to Windows 7 means that you will have to modify the POWER OPTIONS menu as given below:
    • Go to Power Options.
    • Then, select balanced.
    • Here, you will get a Change Plan Settings option.
    • There, set the time that you want for Turn Off Display.
    • Then, go to Advanced Power Settings.
    • Here, set the Hibernate option to "Never" in the settings for sleep.

Re: Computer does not shut down after upgrading to Windows 7

It is recommended that you do no upgrade to Windows 7 because of the reasons given below. There are many problems associated with that operating system and the computer does not shut down after upgrading to Windows 7 may be one of them.
    1. It is more or less like Vista itself.
    2. Windows 7 is too expensive.
    3. There are no issues with Windows XP and Windows Vista, then why switch to Windows 7.
    4. The same old infrastructure is used to build Windows 7.
    5. If you want to do an upgrade from Windows XP, then you will have to do a clean install.
    6. There are many incompatible programs in it.
    7. After all, Windows always remains as a closed system.

Repair the operating system

If the computer does not shut down after upgrading to Windows 7, then I suppose that there are some errors with the system components. To check this, go to START, then RUN and type CMD there. The command prompt interface will open. Here, type the command "CHKDSK /r". If there are errors found, then you will have to repair the operating system by inserting the Windows 7 CD. This will hopefully solve the problem.

Affection Re: Computer does not shut down after upgrading to Windows 7

SIMPLE FIX FOR COMPUTER NOT POWERING DOWN AFTER SHUTDOWN WINDOWS 7!

TRY THIS BEFORE YOU GO GEEK CRAZY!

If your motherboard has a firewire port, you will need to check in device manager if it is set to allow the computer to switch off the device, SIMPLE and EASY. You can do this by going to properties of the devices under IEEE1394 Bus host controller and going to power management. After that, make sure the "allow this computer to turn off this device to save power" is ticked.

Step by step for noobs:

"Windows Start Button" >> Control Panel >> Hardware and Sound >> Device Manager >> IEEE1394 Bus host controller (expand) >> double click "VIA 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller" (this could be different on your machine) >> Click on "Power Management" tab >> Check the box "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" >> click "OK".

Now your computer will shut down normally from here on out