Thread: Frozen screen at Start up

Frozen screen at Start up

My computer specs are ASUS PK5 motherboard, quad core 2.4 intel, 4 gigs ram, C drive is Raptor Western Digital 10K 85 gigs and D drive is western digital 150gigs 72K. I do not have an internal CD drive as I had bought a external DVD rewrite about 3 months before I bought the computer so I told them not to install it (customer order).

My problems started two weeks ago after I installed AVG 9.0 release anti virus.
    I have been trying all sorts of things with no success. Every morning my computer usually goes into normal start but then after that it seems to by pasds normal start and the c drive is running at a fast pace. I initially tried normal start up when the screens froze the first time and then when I went into mail they froze up again. Then I couldn't select safe mode - cursor frozen,
    then I tried to make a usbflash key a bootable disc and the computer screen lit up asking which boot to use. However the screen was frozen I couldnot move the cursor.

I went yesterday over a friends house and we made a bootable winflash usb key. I put the key in one of the motherboard slots and the computer did not start up normally. The bootable flash key did not work as I think the system is locked up ande I can't get a signal on the montor at all. I checked the usb bootable flash key by looking at it with my w7 laptop and it does state it is a bootable disc. The C drive ran very fast every time I start it - either from a cold boot or soft reboot. It seems like ithe drive is a locked mode as I cannot pull up either the bio's or the safe mode using F8 or F1 or F2.

I'm at a lost as to what to do. Should I buy a internal C drive and see it if works with my vista CD though I don't know if it will as I can't get into bio's. My ASUS manual states I can make a Flashkey with Bios but if I can't get the flash key to work as a bootable disc I don't think that will work.

Should I pull out the C drive and buy one of those external Cases and see if I can get into the bio's with my friends vista laptop? Any suggestions as to what I can do?

Thanks
    Rose

Re: Frozen screen at Start up

Hey, I think that during the installation of the AVG 9.0 might be some of the system file got corrupted or deleted that why you are facing this kind of problem. So its better to repair your system with the OS CD and then try again. If that is not working then try to reinstall the complete OS once again with the new fresh copy. Thank you

Many times the Freeware Anti virus that you download from the Internet causes such problems. Maybe same thing happened with you. You mentioned that you can't go in safe mode. Can you go in BIOS settings by pressing the F2. Once you go into BIOS exit the settings and then restart the system. This time keep pressing the F8, so that you can go into the Safe Mode. Once you enter the safe mode, check whether you are having the same issue. Try to uninstall the AVG from the safe mode. According to me that will not make much difference, but you can give a try. Otherwise you will have to repair your OS. No need to take out the C: Drive.!!.

I have tried to get into bios by pressing f1 snf f2. I will try again. Thanks for techresponses as I was worried my C drive was bad.

Rose