Thread: Need suggestions for some good browsers for Ubuntu

Need suggestions for some good browsers for Ubuntu

Guys i am running Ubuntu on my desktop and have gone through a number of browsers for it but haven't found one that is giving me satisfactory results. I have compiz enabled on my system which leads to Firefox and opera running very slowly on my desktop. I switched to chromium but it tends to have bad days because of its build. I have installed Epiphany as a backup browser but the thing i don't like about it is that it only accepts by default Linux shortcuts and we can't use Windows shortcuts on it. We have to use ctrl+alt+left or right to go back/forward while browsing,ctrl+f4 won't close tab and so on. Is it possible to make epiphany follow windows shortcuts?? Are there any other good browsers for Ubuntu that you guys use that can be used as a backup for chromium??
    Last edited by Gaelic; 21-12-2009 at 08:54 PM.

Re: Need suggestions for some good browsers for Ubuntu

I have compiz enabled on my system, Firefox and Opera seem to work fine on it without any speed related issues. I suggest you to get your hardware checked such as graphic card and RAM if you seem to have speed issues while loading up those. Check your graphic card drivers as well before you think its a hardware issue. In case of Chromium why don't you just get a recent build and stop updating it if it works well for you. I would rather that you find out what is causing firefox and opera which are 2 fine browsers to slow down on your system. The names i suggested are all good browsers for Ubuntu and any other operating system.

I would suggest you to use google chorme instead of chromium, the chromium builds are beta tested to make them bug free and then label them as chrome. I use chrome as it is faster on my laptop compared to firefox. Firefox is also known to cause crashes and freezes while browsing on Linux based operating systems. But i think that issue can be solved with a noscript add-on being installed on it. I would suggest you to take a look closely as to why Firefox and opera are not working faster on your system, considering they will be used as backup browsers that's worth a try.

I have used epiphany since a long time and have no complaints regarding it. I personally don't like to handle themes, icons on a desktop. With epiphany it is fully integrated and a part of the desktop. Epiphany follows the Gnome philosophy on everything which is why i like using it. Simple things like how epiphany closes the download manager after it is done working and cleans up the downloads are some of the good things about it which is why you do not need another browser to take its place. I will suggest you to use Epiphany and Firefox as the 2 browsers on your system as they are certainly good browsers for Ubuntu in my opinion.

I have Mint 8 installed on my AMD dual core desktop with 2 gb RAM. I certainly have no issues with Firefox on it. I would go on to say it is super fast on it and you seem to have issues with hardware i assume if Firefox is running slow on it. I also use Midori on my machine and it seems like a good option. Opera is much slower compared to Firefox and hence i don't use it, not to mention the tons of useful add-on's i get with Firefox make it worth it. I have compiz enabled on my system too and never had the issues you mentioned with regards to speed while using the above browsers.

Dr. V Guest

I have a compiz enabled desktop computer running Mint 8 with all the animations running and it has never interfered with my browser's working. I use Chrome and Firefox and both work well on my system in terms of speed. A rlz perimeter is sent to Google every time you use Google chrome on certain days or when certain significant events happen. This does not happen with Chromium which is a big difference between the open source project and Chrome. You can also give swiftfox a try if you are up for trying something different other than the usual browsers. By the way you should check out first as to why Firefox is slow and when is it slow to make sure it is not your hardware which is causing the speed issue. Old graphic drivers can also cause that issue. Hope this helps, good luck.