Thread: Ubuntu 8.04 LTS freezing

Ubuntu 8.04 LTS freezing

Hello guys, I have a machine with a dual boot consisting of Windows XP and Ubuntu lts 8.04. My system is a dual core AMD 64x400 working with 32 bit operating systems. My issue is that my system keeps freezing in Ubuntu to the point that nothing but hitting the reboot button will do. Windows XP doesn't have the issue and works fine. I have observed that this happens when i am browsing and changing web pages on Firefox which is my browser. Once my system just flat out refused to let me boot in to Ubuntu. I kept getting stuck at a Linux prompt asking me to install a previous working boot which anyways didn't work. I ran a chkdsk /r on my partitions and that fixed the problem for me and i could log in to Ubuntu. I initially thought the java programs i have running must be leading to this issue but even after closing those and having a idle desktop on Ubuntu, the system kept freezing. Please help me resolve this freezing issue. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Gavyn; 21-12-2009 at 04:07 PM.

Re: Ubuntu 8.04 LTS freezing

Well i am running Ubuntu 9.10 and have had no such problems till now or any major problems for that matter. I suggest you to upgrade your system to Ubuntu 9.10. If your answer is no to that suggestion, did you install some kind of update on your system before you started facing this issue? You should check what that system update does and maybe restore your system to a time before you installed that update. Also one more solution to Ubuntu freezing on your system could be to disable java script while browsing with firefox which might get rid of your problem.

I think the scripts active on the web page you are viewing could be the actual problem here and not your browser or the operating system. Ubuntu 8.04 does not have any resident issue or bugs which lead to the system freezing while browsing a particular website as far as i know. You can use Noscript which is an add on for firefox and which will block all unwanted scripts running on the particular web page or web pages. You could also try changing your browser if the problem remains consistent on your system.

I would suggest you to update the proprietary drivers which might have come with your graphic card for example cards like Nvidia. I faced a similar problem after installing an update of Ubuntu 9.04 but it went away when i upgraded to Ubuntu 9.10 so i think it is possible that such bugs were fixed in the latest distribution of Ubuntu. Solution for your Ubuntu freezes can either be changing your browser to something like say Opera or IE. You can also try disabling java script as someone above suggested but you will have to be selective since most web sites nowadays run java script and without it you won't be able to view them properly.

I suggest you to install the Noscript add on for Mozilla Firefox for the Ubuntu freezing problem. I had such kind of issues and basically first uninstalled the Sun java library and used the No script add-on. The advantage of using that add-on is that you can select which java script to run in the background and which to disallow depending on how you see fit. Give a try to changing your browser and see if that works too considering this problem starts when you are browsing as you mentioned. Keep the option of upgrading your operating system as a last resort if nothing else works.

If your whole system freezes on Ubuntu including the keyboard and mouse i suggest you to do a reset of those peripheral devices first before you go installing/uninstalling anything. I had this issue where in my Logitech USB mouse and keyboard ran out of power due to the batteries running out. If you have similar peripherals i suggest you give this a try where in you should try and replace the batteries and see if it works. Otherwise try installing the no script add-on for your browser which solves the known issue of the browser freezing and freezing everything else along with it on a Linux operating system. This is true especially in the case of Mozilla. I use opera and it works fine for me without such issues, i would suggest you to give an alternate browser a try as well solve this problem.