Thread: Fedora server vs ubuntu server

Fedora server vs ubuntu server

I am setting up a webserver for hosting purpose, i need suggestion on ubuntu and fedora for server? I heard many advantages of using fedora but not sure what is the difference between Ubuntu and fedora Server. I really want to install this and use as server system but not sure were to start and not sure which one is better for my web server.

Re: Fedora server vs ubuntu server

Ubuntu 9.04 server edition gives the GNU Screen, it is a powerful terminal multiplexer that makes it easy for users to manage multiple sessions at the command line.Ubuntu is the first commercially-supported distribution to enable businesses to build cloud environments inside their firewalls.

Ubuntu Server Edition with apt for doing easily installation of libraries with minimal pain. Ubuntu Server includes a range of new and updated features to boost efficiencies for system administrators running large systems in production environments. Suse and Fedora server and Red Hat and CentOS all come with yum instead of apt, but my experience has been that the libraries have been smaller than the vast Debian apt source libraries.

With Fedora server edition you can still get to all the audio control ALSA can give you if you elect to use Alsamixer program or its GNOME interface. Graphically displays the call hierarchy from executing a C/C++ binary, along with various other runtime statistics. Ext4 file system by default. Ext4 is the latest official Linux file system, and its biggest advantage is for servers. You see, with Ext4 you can have file systems of up to 1 EB (ExaByte) and up to 16 TB (TeraByte) sized files.

Ubuntu Server Edition embeds great technologies to give your business applications more power and optimize the use of your hardware.Fedora Features : Enable KVM guests to use huge page backed memory in order to reduce memory consumption and improve performance by reducing CPU cache pressure.

First things first, the installation of Ubuntu was very simple and straightforward but instead of Fedora go with CentOS, instead of Ubuntu choose GENTOO, GENTOO over CentOS. Single Root I/O Virtualization (SR-IOV) is a PCI feature in fedora server which allows virtual functions (VF) to be created that share the resources of a physical function (PF).