Thread: Unable to change "Do not show hidden files and folders"

Unable to change "Do not show hidden files and folders"

I am using Windows xp on my computer and recently I am getting quiet unexpected problem. Whenever I try to select the option of "Show hidden files and folders" and click on Ok. It wont show me hidden files and if I return back to the folder option and check the options again then it show the radio-button option selected as "Do not show hidden files and folders". Why did this is happening. Is there any setting has been changed. This problem I am getting since few days. What would be solution regarding this.

Re: Unable to change "Do not show hidden files and folders"

Hello, I think some of the setting from your registry of Windows xp has been changed and you need to use the registry cleaner to reset the setting. So, just install the registry cleaner on your computer and the run that in your computer which may solve your problem by setting the appropriate value to the registry regarding your folder option. So, install the registry cleaner application to solve your problem.

I think the problem you are getting with your hidden files is due to the Virus infection. As when you try to select the option of "Show hidden files and folders" it reverted back to the "Do not show hidden files and folders" means that the virus is setting that value again to previous one. So, just make use of the antivirus application and scan your computer for virus and backdoor threats and delete the virus infected files from your computer. And then try to do the same. I think your problem would be solved.

The problem which you are getting was previously got by me. Then I run the Avast Home Edition Boot scan to my computer and it removed virus infected files from my computer. After getting this scan when I check for the showing hidden files and folder, it shows me all the hidden files and folders. So, You can make use of the Avast Home Edition and by installing it in your computer solve your problem. You can get this free from the avast site for free.

As you are not getting to select the radiobutton of ""Show hidden files and folders" you can set this radiobutton with the use of registry editor as follows:
    • Go to registry editor by typing "regedit" in run box.
    • Now navigate to the key:
      HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoft >>WindowsCurrentVersionExplorerAdvanced
    • Now double click hidden and change the value to 1.
    • Done.

Dr. V Guest

To solve your problem of "Do not show hidden files and folders" you need to follow the steps below:
    • Click on Start, then Run and type "regsvr32 /i browseui.dll" and press enter.
    • Message box will appear in front of you.
    • Now click on Start and then on Run and type "regsvr32 /i shell32.dll".
    • Again you will get message box and click on Ok.
    • Done.