Thread: I Can't install Linux on my Ibook g4, please help!

I Can't install Linux on my Ibook g4, please help!

Hello, i have an Ibook g4 and i am planning to put a Linux based operating system on it or rather install it. I have selected Ubuntu as that operating system. The problem is that my Ibook will boot only half ways and i can only only see a white screen with the apple logo and loading sign. After that it goes to a blue screen and freezes so i can't install Ubuntu as my full operating system and not a dual boot one since it will only boot up that far. Additionally i can't even get in to it at all so how can i install Ubuntu?? I do not have the Snow Leopard CD by the way. Please help me resolve this issue.
    Last edited by Adolfa; 19-12-2009 at 06:44 PM.

Re: I Can't install Linux on my Ibook g4, please help!

You do not need the Mac operating system to install a Linux operating system. You can install Ubuntu just like that. You will need to take care of special things depending on what version of Ubuntu you are trying to install. You can check those out by searching for PowerPCFAQ's on Wikipedia. This will give you an idea as to what you are getting in to. The installation should be easy but sometimes it won't be so that's why you need that particular faq. I would suggest you to do the installation using a Live CD.

If i understand correctly you seem to have messed up your current MAC operating system which is Snow leopard. You don't the other operating system to install Ubuntu or any other Linux distribution for that matter. This can be done with a Live CD or by using the alternate CD. Just make sure you burn the alternate one at a very slow speed. It would have helped if you had specified a version. Installation from the alternate disc is much more easier and will use up less RAM hence the recommendation.

Dr. V Guest

It will be easier to install from the alt. install disk. It will use less ram. Look into getting more ram. On your Ibook it is cheap and easy to install. The same thing will probably happen when you try to boot. You will need to hit the tab key. You should be able to install with 256MB but it might be slower. If you are locked out of the Mac OS just select the option to install on the whole disk and you will have a laptop using pure Ubuntu.

I am using an IBook g4 and installing it is very easy on it. I have installed Ubuntu 8.04 on it. Burn an alternate disc or order a disc, the choice is yours. I had used the live disc but many prefer the alternate disc for the advantage of less RAM being used. But in my case it took longer with the alternate disc so i went for the other option. When you boot the disc for the first time, restart it with the c key held down. Don't let go of it until you see a Linux icon comes up on the screen. Then click on the icon for Linux and then boot to Ubuntu. As it boots, press the tab key. You will see a number of options. I think the one i was used was live video=ofonly nosplash, you will have to type it in. You will see the output of that at the bottom of the page , then press enter. At this point it should boot and it will some time since it is reading the disc. After that installation is easy, you just follow the directions. Hope this helps, good luck.

Hey guys, thanks a lot for all your comments and replies. At first i had not burned the ISO file as an image leading to more issues. But i used a Live CD and it worked fine for me in the next attempt. Currently setting up the partitions and no issues as of yet. I also re-burned the image and tried to install it on another of my desktop and that too worked fine.