Thread: Restarting problem in Imac G5

Restarting problem in Imac G5

Hi guyz, I recently bought an Imac G5 Flat-Panel with Mac OS 10.5.8 installed on it. The problem i am facing with my Mac is that it keeps on restarting after every 10 minutes. It mostly happens while using Entourage or while using Mozilla Firefox. Is it because of my operating system or the applications that i have loaded? Cant figure out what the problem is so please if anybody has a solution please let me know.

Re: Restarting problem in Imac G5

After looking at the problem, I think it is a thermal issue. Check if your Imac has proper air ventilation as it must be getting very hot if the area surrounding it is not properly ventilated. Whenever if the system gets too hot it shuts down itself and then restarts when it is cooled down. Please check the system preferences first. Go to System preferences--Energy Saver--Power and Remove the check mark against "Restart after a power failure".

The problem could be because of the machine itself. The entire system can be faulty because it is happening at regular interval. It can be hardware or software or both in your case. As you have bought the G5 recently it must be under warranty cover so you can get an official support from apple for your problem. Contact the nearest support center to get your system checked.

Dr. V Guest

Did this problem started after installing the applications like Entourage and mozilla firefox? If yes then uninstalling them might solve your issue. The installed applications must have been corrupted that's why when you use them your system reboots. Uninstall the applications you listed and check your system performance. If it does not restart then download some other set up for those applications.

As your system is restarting after very 10 minutes try the following troubleshooting steps.
    1)Check if there are any software problems and eliminate them
    2)Eliminate PRAM problems if any.
    3)If your system is on shut it down and then push the power button and immediately hold down the following keys (Option ,Command, P, and R ) and keep holding them till you here three startup chimes. As soon as you here the 3 start up chime then let go the keys. Now the system will start normally.
    4)Now from the pull down menu select Utilities
    5)Inside Utilities Select Disk Utility
    6)Now select the hard drive by clicking it once and select Repair Disk Permissions. The utility will fix any problems if there are any, after the test is complete exit utilities and check if the system works properly.

I think you need to reset the System Management Unit. This is how you will do it. Shut down your system--Now unplug all the cables including the the power cable and wait for 10 seconds.-- Now hold the power cord and insert it while holding down the power button.--Now if the power cord is inside, then push the power button again to start the system. Be careful that the system should not start while inserting the power cord and if it does then remove the power cord again and wait for 10 seconds again repeat the procedure again. Hopefully it solves your problem