Thread: Multiple OS Choices while Booting.!?!

Multiple OS Choices while Booting.!?!

I am having Acer Aspire Mini Laptop with Windows XP as the operating system. Recently I have formatted it since it was having lot of Virus. I formatted the Hard Drive properly and installed the XP by original CD using the external DVD-Writer. But then, when I boot it shows the XP is installed multiple times. (Two options are coming of XP). I have to select the first one to boot into XP. When I press second option nothing happens. I have formatted my hard drive. then why I am getting these multiple options? I have even checked the hard drive but it is free. Can anyone help me to sort out this issue..??

Re: Multiple OS Choices while Booting.!?!

I am sure that you have not formatted your hard disk properly. Take the backup of your data and then format your hard disk properly. First format the hard drive, then create the Partitions accordingly. Then install the OS on the specific drive. Also try formatting without the Quick Format option. (normal format) This will help to isolate your problem.

You can try this to remove the operating system from the boot option. Follow the steps :

1. Click on the Start Button, then click on Run.
    2. Type cmd and click OK.
    3. In the command prompt, type:
    bootcfg /delete /ID#
    where # specifies the boot entry ID that you want to be deleted from the operating systems section of the BOOT.INI file. In your case type
    bootcfg /delete /ID2

Hope from next reboot you will get the multiple choices.

I would like to suggest you to run the chkdsk. So that if there is any Disk Error it will get fixed. The mentioned error can be generated because of the disk Error. Also try to scan your system by an updated anti virus. There might be virus which is changing the entries in the boot.ini file. Doing this will isolate your problem.

Also try doing this :

Go to the Control Panel. Then open the System by double clicking on that Icon. Select the Advance tab from the System Properties. Now select the startup & recovery option. Check the option default operating system, scroll down the menu and if you see more than one OS listed there then uncheck the option time to display recovery options when needed. Hope you will get rid of the multiple OS choices at boot up.

I too think that you might have not formatted your hard disk properly. So format it first, no issues even you select the Quick Format using NTFS. But make sure that you format it properly by selecting the proper drive. It would be more better if you format your whole hard drive. Even the Virus issues will be resolved.

By the looks sounds like you did not formatted properly mate!! oh and want more think formating the HDD can never assure complete removal of Virus of the HDD, they can even damage your FAT allocation Table or worst depending of type of virus. Hey make sure you have an antivirus AVG quite gud, them Mcfee the Norton which is heavy or TrendMicro is really gud too.
    Another think you can do for healthy drives is Computer Management dude!!! Check it out!!