Thread: Help!!!Unable to write on my external Hard disk drive

Help!!!Unable to write on my external Hard disk drive

I am a Macbookpro user with OS X Snow Leopord.I also portable hard drive which is Mac only which i have been using for a long time now but suddenly now i cant write to the drive from few days.I can read from the drive but cant write to it.whenever I try to write files on it,the drive gets ejected.The drive is not physically damaged nor it has been connected to any windows PC.I cant figure out the what could be the reason behind this.Please help if you have any idea about this.
    Last edited by Hashim; 17-12-2009 at 08:42 PM.

Re: Help!!!Unable to write on my external Hard disk drive

Try running first aid from the disk utility.In this way you will know if the drive is faulty or not.If the drive is good it should return the result as Volume is good. If there are any faults on the drive it would list it and you can repair them by selecting the action listed in the drop down menu when highlighted.

Have you tried testing the drive on other mac systems?Just try to test the drive on some other mac system if it works the drive is good if it doesn't then run some data recovery tool on the drive and try to get the data out of it.If the drive works properly then there must be something wrong with your operating system.

As you say you can read the data from the drive but cant write to it, the problem can be with the Micro-USB cable which is connecting the drive to the system.Before considering the drive to be faulty check if the cable is working properly with the other memory devices.USB cables are made up of lines of conductors which may become useless due to corrosion or excessive use so the USB cables must be replaced from time to time to avoid problems in connectivity with the memory devices.
    Last edited by jesse; 17-12-2009 at 08:55 PM.

Dr. V Guest

Does your External HDD have an external power input or does it take power from the USB itself? Coz if it is taking power from USB itself then there is a possibility that it is not receiving enough power which can be because of faulty USB cable or bad USB ports.Check both with different memory storage devices and see if they work.

The problem stated by you is one of the bugs of Mac OS X snow leopard. It shows the drive is full even if there is a lots of free space on it also it ejects the external memory devices if we try to write on them.However this issue is fixed in the later version of the snow leopard.you can download the patch for it from the official site for free.After installing the patch the issue will be solved.