Thread: Install a new kernel in debian

Install a new kernel in debian

Hello
    Firstly, I want to say that I am a beginner in linux. I use Debian that I downloaded recently (Lenny ) and I'm running under Virtual Box with Windows XP 32bit as host. To install a feature of Virtual Box, I have a message in my terminal saying that I'm using kernel 2.6.26-2-686 while feature requires at least 2.6.27. Already, I'm surprised because I thought I installed the latest version of Debian. Then how do I fix and install a 2.6.27 kernel? Is it complicated? What does this imply? Any advice on this.
    Last edited by cyber-noob; 17-12-2009 at 12:08 PM.

Re: Install a new kernel in debian

Hey
    I think you can add backports to your deposit and get the debian kernel 2.6.30. This will be a good ideas to install kernel in your system.
    Code:
    echo "deb http://www.backports.org/debian lenny-backports main contrib non-free">> / etc / apt / sources.list
    apt-get update
    apt-get install linux-image-2.6-686 (or apt-get install linux-image-2.6-amd64)

Hi
    I added the url to my sources.list but apt-get to fail with a timeout. I then created a apt.conf in / etc / apt / and added Acquire:: http:roxy "http://10.0.4.7:80". I have no timeout but failed authentication to the proxy. I try to add my username and my password but my attempts are unsuccessful. My password for the proxy contains an @ I simply can not change it yet. I know the problem is there because the @ sign is just before the identification word. I tried to put% 40 instead, but it does not work either. Any ides on this on solution so that I can get started.

Hi
    I know the problem is there because the @ sign is just before the identification word. I tried to put% 40 instead, but it does not work either.
    Simple supposition but have you tried to escape the @ sign into your password?
    With a "\" for example. I think I did for a password mysql and it worked. I think you can try this and see if it works.

Hi
    Simple supposition but have you tried to escape the @ sign into your password? With a "\" for example.
    I tried to escape with / and \, but both did not worked. I'm really stuck here. Until I have the right to change my password on the proxy. Do you guys now how to solve this problem. Please if you now that then do post back. Thanks in advance.

Hey
    Guys after a lost of research on internet and trying for a long time, now I have found a solution for this. I found the problem with incompatibility with my ISA proxy. The solution was pretty straight forward, install a local proxy ntlmaps. You can find it from their official site. Though my problem is solved now I have posted if because any one like me should not suffer for a long time which has a simple solution.