Thread: How to use the Powercfg in Windows 7?

How to use the Powercfg in Windows 7?

Hey, I have installed the Windows 7 operating system on my Laptop recently. I like the functionality and the GUI of the same which is really attractive. But the problem is that my Laptop power down immediately after the use of the 2 -3 hour that stops me working. I have heard that we can use Powercfg command which can increase the power management of the system. But don't know how to apply the same. So help me please. Thanks in advance

Re: How to use the Powercfg in Windows 7?

To use the following command which you have stated before you have to run as administrator to maker change. Just click on the start and then hit the run. now in run box type cmd. It will open the Command prompt now type the command that is PowerCfg -energy. It will take 60 second to make a report of the system error. After that it will display the error causing the power down. Read it and correct it. Thanks

Hey, To run this command you have to get access of the Administrator without which you cant run this command so first take the administrator privilege and then try to run the same. For taking the same you have to do the following:

• Click on the start
    • Click on the search box
    • Type cmd and cmd.exe will appear
    • Right click on that and select the Run as Administrator.

That it now you have administrator privilege to run the command prompt

Yes this is the right way to see the error that is eating the power of the laptop. But the command prompt only show the error you cant see the full detail. To see the full detail you have to visit the C:\User\Windows7 folder where the error is stored in the html format and can be read it form there. Thats all i can help you so read the error and solve the problem you are facing with it. Bye

Dr. V Guest

You can also save the power of the system using the Power Saver. This will also help you to increase the use of the Laptop. Power Saver is inbuilt service of the Windows which facilitate user with the effort to use the power management. To read more about the same click here

This paper provides information about new functionality within the PowerCfg utility for evaluating system energy efficiency for the Windows family of operating systems. It provides guidelines for system manufacturers to take advantage of this new PowerCfg functionality before shipping a new system model to customers. Similarly, IT professionals can use these PowerCfg enhancements to diagnose and resolve end-user problems with portable computer battery life and desktop energy efficiency.

This Information applies for the Windows 7 operating system.

• Included in this white paper:
    • Using PowerCfg to Evaluate Energy Efficiency
    • Understanding Energy Efficiency Problems
    • Advanced PowerCfg Techniques
    • Troubleshooting the PowerCfg -ENERGY Command

Hey it is really a good command. Even i am having the same problem and i have used it. It increase the battery life by defining reason behind the power loss and how to increase the system performance. This command is useful for some other reason. For more detail check the link given below.
    PowerCfg