Thread: Windows 7 RC taskbar is only displaying icons

Windows 7 RC taskbar is only displaying icons

I am using Intel Core 2 Duo processor with Giga-byte motherboard which has onboard graphics of 256MB and an external nVidia geForce 7950 GT video card. I have bought Windows 7's Release Candidate. Now after installing Windows 7, I have noticed that the icon of the applications in the taskbar are displayed without any text.

Try to re-install Windows 7 RC

It can be that the Windows 7 RC was not properly installed. I suggest you to perform the re-installation of Windows operating system. This time make sure that the Windows gets installed without any intervals or interruptions. Check if it displays any missing files.

No use of Re-installing

I have re-installed Windows again but it cannot fix the problem. Again if I open any application the icons of those applications are displayed in the taskbar but without any text. I have done re-installation process twice but yet had no luck with it.

RAM and CPU usage

How much RAM are you using for your system? Does your system slows down when you open multiple applications(more then 4 or 5 applications)? It can be that your system needs more RAM as Windows 7 requires 2 gigs RAM to perform efficiently. Also you can verify your RAM and CPU usage by pressing the Ctrl+Alt+Del Keys. Check how amount of CPU and RAM are getting used.

CPU usage normal

When I open multiple application like listening music, surfing internet, editing in word, Viewing images, the CPU gets higher upto around 90 - 100 percent but for a very short interval of time. But even when I have a single applications opened it still does not has any text next to its icon in the taskbar of Windows 7 RC.

Registry Editor: MinWidth

I also had the same problem with my Windows Vista. I did re installation of Windows Vista a number of times and also went ahead and formatted my entire hard disk twice. Then I finally I did the following changes which helped my to solve the issue:
    Go to the registry editor by entering regedit in the search box in the Windows Orb.
    Look for the registry key with the following value:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics
    Delete the value MinWidth from the right-side pane.