Thread: Right click causes Move to/Copy to option on Start Menu

Right click causes Move to/Copy to option on Start Menu

I was using Windows XP Service Pack 2 till last week. But then I thought of switching to Windows 7 as I heard the news that Microsoft is going to abort its support to Windows XP. So I arranged for a Windows 7 Release Candidate(RC) to be installed on my computer to get my hands on Windows 7. But after using it for three days I realized that when I right click on the Start Menu the Move to/Copy to option is displayed. I believe this is not a default action in Windows 7 or is it ?

Repair Windows

This is expected to happen with the RC version of Windows 7. The RC i.e. the Release Candidate is released and made available to public to gather feedback and their views and opinion to improve the operating system till the final release. I suggest you repair your Windows 7 Release Candidate. To repair use your installation CD and select Repair option to repair your Windows operating system.

Repair didnot worked on Windows RC

Yes, I have tried to repair Windows 7 RC but even that has not worked for me. I tried to repair Windows three times but all the time after repairing Windows when I right clicked on the Start Menu the same Move to/Copy to options are displayed.

Re-install RC version of Windows 7

Instead of repairing you may try to re-install your RC version of Windows. I had an error where the folder My Documents on my Compaq Presario desktop did not had the My Videos folder. I was using Windows XP. I tried repairing it but that was unable to get the My Videos folder, so then I re-installed Windows and it helped me to get the My Videos folder.

Re: Right click causes Move to/Copy to option on Start Menu

This issue can be solved by following these steps:
    1. Click on the Windows Start Menu or you may press the Windows Key on your keyboard.
    2. Enter regedit in your search box.
    3. Browse to find the registry key:
      HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ ContextMenuHandlers\
    4. Check that there will be two keys move to and copy to, delete both of them.

Now you may reboot your computer and most probably if everything was done accordingly then you would not get the move to - copy to options in your Start Menu of Windows 7 RC.

Download Windows 7 RC again

Rather then doing all the hard work and again having the same result it is better you download the RC version of Windows again. In case after various troubleshooting methods you are not able to still get the move to/copy to cleared from the right click on start menu I would prefer you to download your Windows RC again and install it.