Thread: How to change the function of enter key on highlighted items in MAC

How to change the function of enter key on highlighted items in MAC

Hello, I have recently switched from Windows to MAC. I have got iBook G4 with OS X 10.4.The problem i face frequently is I am used to open files and folders by hitting enter key which is not allowed in MAC.In Mac whenever i try to open a highlighted folder or file by hitting enter it prompts me to rename the file.So i want to know if i can customize the enter key so as it will open instead of renaming the file....?

Re: How to change the function of enter key on highlighted items in MAC

I don't think any version of OS X or any application provided by MAC helps us in reconfiguring the keyboard functions as it would create problems in proper working of certain application.I suggest you get use to using Command and O (cmd+O) to open highlighted folders also you can use Command and down arrow to open any highlighted file or folder,further, pressing Command+up arrow will open the parent folder of the highlighted file or folder.

Installing the 3rd party application can certainly provide ease to the users who have recently switched to Mac from Windows environment.There are certain 3rd party application which can be used for reconfiguring the keyboard as per the user requirement but they are not recommended by Mac.You can search on the web to find out the application according to your needs and which suits your hardware specifications.

"OpenReturn" is the application which you are looking for.It helps in changing the function of the enter (return) key for opening highlighted files or folders.It is easily available online and it is not an official software for Mac OS X.So be careful while installing it moreover if you are going to continue using Mac for long term then i suggest to make it a practice of using command + O to open the file or folder coz after a while you will be used to it.