Thread: Stop and disable dwm service

Stop and disable dwm service

After installing windows xp on my computer i have noticed that dwm process always run as background process. I have tried to stop that process from task manager but it won't ... Can nay one tell me the how to stop and disable a service called dwm. Is this virus or any system process?

Re: Stop and disable dwm service

dwm.exe is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32. dwm.exe is a system process named Desktop Window Manager in Windows Vista. It is responsible for the graphical effects named Aero(such as 3D or glass effects). DWM enables visual effects on the desktop as well as various features such as glass window frames, 3-D window transition animations, Windows Flip and Windows Flip3D , and high resolution support.

The Desktop Window Manager requires video cards supporting DirectX 9.0 and Shader Model 2.0. DWM is not included with Windows Vista Starter edition. It can sometimes be heavy on CPU/Memory usage as it renders or runs out of resources. Ending it once will make it auto-restart itself - ending it again will make it permanently go and make the system use basic window management.

Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) is the compositing window manager that gives you all those pretty effects in Windows Vista, To stop it go to start m the menu and the type services.mcs > Find it in the list >Go to like File or Edit or something > Change status to Disable (as opposed to manual or automatic) >Manually stop the process.

dwm.exe should not be disabled, required for essential applications to work properly.dwm.exe is a Desktop Window Manager from Microsoft Corporation belonging to Microsoft Windows Operating System. The Desktop Window Manager (DWM) composition APIs provide several functions that provide functionality for querying and setting basic information that is use by the DWM.

Dr. V Guest

With the Desktop Window Manager, applications do not draw directly to the video memory;To turn the Desktop Window Manager (dwm file) you can enable or disable the process by clicking 'Ctrl Shift F9'. If you open up Task Manager, you can see the dwm.exe process in the list, you can also disable that process from the task manger.