Thread: Creating temporary user profile in windows 7

Creating temporary user profile in windows 7

Hi,

I have installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Upgraded on windows Vista 64 bit and I have Windows SBS 2008 domain. I have tried many times configuring and reinstalling the programs but I can't registered as a temporary user and the profile is missing completely. I use the same user account on the domain of ever ... not sure if this is related or not. What may be the issue ???

Re: Creating temporary user profile in windows 7

Can you please let me know if you have a roaming profile configured for the domain account in question, can check this by seeing if a value is in the Profile tab of the Windows user account in Active Directory Users and Computers? Besides, what is the error you see?

I think your user profiles settings in windows 7 are not correct or registry keys for user profiles (the SID in particular) have been damaged or removed. Try in safe mode and access an account with administrative privileges. (If you can, avoid using an administrator because you can access it through normal mode). First make a backup of documents from other users, videos, music files, etc in different folders, And delete the old accounts through the Control Panel. Now go back to normal mode and create new user accounts. Re-copy the files in the user accounts and restore them.

To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
    1. Log on to the system by using an administrative user account other than the user account that is experiencing the problem.

2. Back up all data in the current user's profile folder if the profile folder still exists, and then delete the profile folder. By default, the profile resides in the following location:
    %SystemDrive%\Users\UserName

3. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
    User Account Control permission
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

4. Locate the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

5. Under the ProfileList subkey, delete the subkey that is named SID.bak.
    Note SID is a placeholder for the security identifier (SID) of the user account that is experiencing the problem. The SID.bak subkey should contain a ProfileImagePath registry entry that points to the original profile folder of the user account that is experiencing the problem.

6. Exit Registry Editor.

7. Log off the system.

8. Log on to the system again.

After you log on to the system, the profile folder is re-created.

Kirmiac, thanks for this post, worked like a charm