Thread: Issue while installing the Ubuntu 8.1 using Virtual PC 2007 sp1

Issue while installing the Ubuntu 8.1 using Virtual PC 2007 sp1

Hi guyz I am trying to install Ubuntu 8.1 using Virtual PC 2007 SP1 but i am facing a problem during installation.I follow this procedure for initializing installation.I press F4 and select “Safe Graphics Mode”.Then press F6 to see the command line for the install.I remove the "quiet splash" and instead write vga=791 noreplace-paravirt at the end and press enter.The installation begins but VPC crashes after sometime.Instead of vga=791 i tried "vesa vga" at the install command line but that also did not work.I am installing Ubuntu from a virtual disc with and using iso with Alcohol120.I am using VPC 2007 for other operating systems.If any one has a solution let me know.....?

Re: Issue while installing the Ubuntu 8.1 using Virtual PC 2007 sp1

Installing a virtual machine using a virtual disc is actually a bad practice.I suppose you have Ubuntu in a .iso format.So while installing it as Virtual machine you should not mount it as a image instead just set the .iso on install mode.If you try to install Ubuntu as you have described it will crash as most of the Virtual PC do not support all the distributors of LINUX.

Linux has hell lot of Distributors therefore the Virtual PC's provide official support to limited distributors.It is possible to install Ubuntu as you have described but it usually requires playing with N server (where N "graphics manager under linux).Therefore instead of using a Virtual PC you can use Virtual box which is free and easy to use.

I would totally recommend usage of Virtual box over Virtual PC.Apart from being free,it has lot more useful features than Virtual PC and it is very easy to use.I personally use Virtual box and have XP Pro, Windows 98 and Fedora 11 images running under it also its Seamless mode with XP under Vista is of great convenience.Just try using Virtual box once and you will definitely find it more convenient.