Thread: Unable to download PDF’s on Macbook Pro

Unable to download PDF’s on Macbook Pro

Hi, I have a new Macbook pro laptop with quad-core Intel core i7 processor, AMD Radeon graphics. I am been using this laptop since two months now and it’s my regular workplace. I have lots and lots of work over internet and have to continuously download Word or PDF files. It is a part of my work but since two days I am unable to download PDF files on my macbook laptop and because of this my lots of work is pending. I am using OS X lion as my operating system and Mozilla Firefox 12.0 as my web browser. Adobe reader 10.1.3 is already installed on my macbook. When I click on a link a blank page opens and then it downloads nothing. Provide me with a solution as soon as possible.

Re: Unable to download PDF’s on Macbook Pro

Hey friend even I was experiencing the same issue in my laptop I reinstalled Adobe reader twice and thrice but nothing seemed to work then one of my friend came up with a solution which I myself noticed while using the system. If you have Adobe Acrobat Reader (or similar installed) installed in your web browser then simply clicking the link will open the PDF file for you but it won’t download it on your laptop.

So for downloading the file what you can do is right click on the link instead of left click, when you click it should bring up a menu with many options like “Open Link in New window”, ”Open link in new Tab”, “Save link As” etc. you have to click on the option of “Save Target As”(or something similar). This will help you to download the PDF on your system and you can save this PDF file where ever you want to save on the system. Hope this helps you in some way…

Hey I have a different solution for your problem. There is a Plug-in that can fix this issue. The name of the plugin is “PDF Browser plugin 2.4.4”. It is free for personal and non commercial use. It easily allows Firefox to display and download PDF’s in tabs or windows. You can even make use of a revolutionary extension known as pdf.js. It allows you to view almost all pdf files found on the web to display within Fire Fox.

I have been using pdf.js extension for a while now on my apple system and truly saying it really works well for most of the pdf files. But now its giving me some problems. Sometimes some pdf files are not viewed properly & it again makes me vulnerable for that.

So can someone suggest that why is this happening..? Why I am unable to see some of my Pdf files even after using pdf.js extension. Are there any specific formats of lengths or anything such that is making me unable to read some of the pdf files?

I have an answer for your problem. Even I am using pdf.js for a while now and have found out that yes pdf.js is really very good for viewing and saving pdf files but there are some instances in which pdf.js extension does not support. Just enabling pdf.js is not enough. You need to disable every pdf reader plugin so that Fire Fox uses it as a default PDF viewer. You can do it as Such:

1) In your Fire Fox Browser click on “Tools” from your menu bar, select "Add-ons”. Now the Add-on window will open.
    2) In the Add-ons window, Click on “Plugins” Panel.
    3) Select each render plugin and Click on “Disable” to close it.

Even some sites blocking JavaScript Scripts may prevent pdf.js from viewing PDF files; you also have to disable them. You can disable them by following these simple steps:

1) In your Fire Fox Browser click on “Tools” from your menu bar, select “Add-ons”. Now the Add-on window will open.
    2) In the Add-ons window, Click on “Extensions” Panel.
    3) Select blocking extension and click “Disable” to close it.

Hopefully these are the only problems while dealing with the pdf.js extensions.

It’s superb to see so many solutions for the same problem because I tried something different when I was not able to download the PDF files on my laptop. I am using an apple laptop since a year now and in the beginning I was easily able to send, view and download pdf files. But for some reasons I had to reinstall my Firefox as it was troubling me while chatting with my friends. But since then I had problem downloading the pdf’s so one of my friend suggested me to change the application settings . I did changed the settings and it worked perfectly so I am just suggesting the same settings to you hope it even works for you also.

1) Click “Tools” in the menu bar and select “options”.
    2) Select the “Application Panel”
    3) Find the Adobe Acrobat Document in the list and click on it to select it.
    4) Click the Drop down arrow in the Action column for the Adobe Acrobat Document.
    5) Select “Save File” Options from the list of options given.