Thread: Need a List of Mandriva Based Linux

Need a List of Mandriva Based Linux

Hello Friends, I am a Linux Fan as i have been using Mandriva Linux since the time its name was Mandrake Linux. Ok, I have been using Mariva since a long time and i want to try other linux versions. But as i'm addictated to Mandriva, Can anyone give me a list of all Mandriva based Linux and All linux distribution which are similar to Mandriva? It would be great if anyone helps me with what i need. I Need a List of Mandriva Based Linux. Thanks!

Re: Need a List of Mandriva Based Linux

Do you need the names of the linux which are specifically based on Mandriva Linux or which are similar to it and use RPM files? There are lot of similar linux and the list is too long. Also if you want to try a different linux altogether which is too different but easy, you can go with Ubuntu. Its an awesome OS with a great GUI which is easy too use. I think this is what you should try. Also OpenSUSE is a great Operating System...

Some Linux based directly on Mandriva linux are :
    Annvix
    Caixa Mágica
    MCNLive
    PCLinuxOS
    Trinity Rescue Kit
    Out of the above, Annvix is not discontinued as it has no developers... Is this what you need?

This is somewhat like what i needed, I have been using Mandriva and i'm totally not in touch with any Operating Systems, I will try Ubuntu soon. I know its easy and i have used it before but it was when it was in version 7.04. I think i will have to try it again now as i have heard only good things about it. Also what you guys think about OpenSUSE? I think its a clone on Mandriva Linux, as i used it long back, but will still try it again. Can anyone tell me the list of linux above, which is the best one? Also can i get a short discription of each linux? Thanks!

Annvix was a Canadian security-focused operating system based on Mandriva Linux originally forked from Mandrake Linux 9.2. It is a dormant operating system with the last version being released December 30, 2007. Now it has been discontinued as there are no developers to take care of it.

PCLinuxOS, also known as PCLOS, is an open-source desktop operating system based on the Linux Kernel, with KDE as its default user interface. It is an open-source operating system for personal computers aimed at ease of use. The precursor to PCLinuxOS was a set of RPM packages created to improve successive versions of Mandrake Linux which is now called Mandriva Linux. These packages were created by Bill Reynolds, a packager better known as Texstar.

Trinity Rescue Kit also known as TRK, is a free Live CD Linux distribution based on Mandriva Linux, aimed specifically at offline operations for Windows and Linux systems such as rescue, repair, password resets and disk cloning. Trinity Rescue Kit is bootable from a CD, USB media or a network using PXE. Documentation for TRK exists both on the website, as well as in the console by using the command "trkhelp -l -t". Trinity Rescue Kit omits the standard Linux manual command in order to conserve space. In addition, there are tools to migrate TRK from an ISO image to a bootable USB device and vice versa. Trinity Rescue Kit has a graphical startup menu based on SYSLINUX and vesamenu32 which is used to select boot options.