Thread: Mac OS X 10.6 Sharing with Windows 7 issues?

Mac OS X 10.6 Sharing with Windows 7 issues?

Hi,I use the whole Server Message Block (smb://) to access my windows pc. My problem is once I access a folder using that process,it opens for the first time and then grays out completely.Once I restart the mac, all the folders are accessible once and then gray out again.
    So I need to know what I can do so that the folders do not gray out after one use...?
    I am using Windows 7 and MAC OS X 10.6

Dr. V Guest

Re: Mac OS X 10.6 Sharing with Windows 7 issues?

Which version of Windows 7 are you using..? Windows 7 only provides full networking support in Windows 7 Ultimate or Professional edition.Home edition does not have all the networking stuff. So if you are using Home edition then try and get Professional or Ultimate edition installed.This would solve the problem.

Follow these steps to connect your PC using smb process.Type the following in the address bar "smb://192.168.0.102 " (the ip is for example you should type the ip of the system to be connected). After typing the ip it will prompt you to mount volumes on to disk. Here select the drives or the folders you need to share.Now you will be able to complete share the information contained in the folder or drives which have been mounted.

When you use smb process to share the file or folders it should be shared only once.Once a file or folder is mounted using smb it can be shared until the session is complete.If we try to mount files or folders which are already mounted using smb process then these files or folders cannot be shared unless the system is restarted as it happens in your case.Hope this post helps you in solving your issues.