Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Will 64 bit OS work with my PC

Operating Systems

Old 08-12-2009

Will 64 bit OS work with my PC

Hi
I have Ubuntu install, that is 32bit operating system. I was wondering that 64bit operating system may run on my computer. My system configuration is as follows:
Operating system
Code:
Release 9.10 Karmic
Kernel Linux 2.6.31-16-generic
GNOME 2.28.1
Hardware
Code:
Memory 2.0 GiB
 Pentium(R) Dual -Core CPU - Processor 0
 Pentium(R) Dual -Core CPU - Processor 1
I have this system configuration with me. Can I install a 64bit operating system on this. Which is the better 64bit or a 32bit operating system for a hardware like this. One more question, can I check that my system is conferable with the 64bit OS, using command line. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-12-2009

Re: Will 64 bit OS work with my PC

Hi
One think I would like to mention here is that 64 bit and the 32 bit is dependent only only the computers processor.
Quote:
I have this system configuration with me. Can I install a 64bit operating system on this.
For your question, yes you should not have any problem with the 64bit version of the operating system. Your computer can handle it very well. You can go for the 64bit. Even there are software's that come with 64bit and 32bit, you can download the 64bit version, that should work fine with you. Any more queries do post back.
Old 08-12-2009

Hi
Quote:
One more question, can I check that my system is conferable with the 64bit OS, using command line
The command you are looking for is
Code:
cat /proc/cpuinfo
Please check the output of the following command. Pleas make sure that under the flags section you have the lm listed.
This is an example please verify
Quote:
flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow rep_good pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy sv
The above output shows that you have 64bit processor and that you can run the 64bit operating system.
Old 08-12-2009

Hello
Quote:
Memory 2.0 GiB
You have an relevant memory. If your computer ram would be low, then I would have not recommended you to go for the 64bit operating system. But you have a good ram and I think you can go for the 64bit operating system.
Quote:
cat /proc/cpuinfo
I think this is the good and more generic way to check the system configuration. This is a useful command, but there are lost of command available there. You can check for more commands. If any problem do post back.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , ,