Thread: Will 64 bit OS work with my PC

Will 64 bit OS work with my PC

Hi
    I have Ubuntu install, that is 32bit operating system. I was wondering that 64bit operating system may run on my computer. My system configuration is as follows:
    Operating system
    Code:
    Release 9.10 Karmic
    Kernel Linux 2.6.31-16-generic
    GNOME 2.28.1
    Hardware
    Code:
    Memory 2.0 GiB
     Pentium(R) Dual -Core CPU - Processor 0
     Pentium(R) Dual -Core CPU - Processor 1
    I have this system configuration with me. Can I install a 64bit operating system on this. Which is the better 64bit or a 32bit operating system for a hardware like this. One more question, can I check that my system is conferable with the 64bit OS, using command line. Thanks in advance.

Re: Will 64 bit OS work with my PC

Hi
    One think I would like to mention here is that 64 bit and the 32 bit is dependent only only the computers processor.
    I have this system configuration with me. Can I install a 64bit operating system on this.
    For your question, yes you should not have any problem with the 64bit version of the operating system. Your computer can handle it very well. You can go for the 64bit. Even there are software's that come with 64bit and 32bit, you can download the 64bit version, that should work fine with you. Any more queries do post back.

Hi
    One more question, can I check that my system is conferable with the 64bit OS, using command line
    The command you are looking for is
    Code:
    cat /proc/cpuinfo
    Please check the output of the following command. Pleas make sure that under the flags section you have the lm listed.
    This is an example please verify
    flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow rep_good pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy sv
    The above output shows that you have 64bit processor and that you can run the 64bit operating system.

Hello
    Memory 2.0 GiB
    You have an relevant memory. If your computer ram would be low, then I would have not recommended you to go for the 64bit operating system. But you have a good ram and I think you can go for the 64bit operating system.
    cat /proc/cpuinfo
    I think this is the good and more generic way to check the system configuration. This is a useful command, but there are lost of command available there. You can check for more commands. If any problem do post back.