Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Window Vista seems to be missing after installing Window 7

Operating Systems

Old 07-12-2009

Window Vista seems to be missing after installing Window 7

I had been running Windows Vista as my operating system. Recently i had installed Windows 7 on my machine. Now the problem is that after finishing the Windows 7 installation process, it doesn't give me an option to choose whether should I boot window 7 or Window Vista. I have checked my hard disk, there is a partition on Window Vista left and all files are there but it seem that I can't boot back to Window Vista. Can any one tell me that why does my Windows Vista seems to be missing after installing Windows 7? Any one has any idea about it? Kindly help me out to get rid of the above issue. Thanks.

Old 07-12-2009

Re: Window Vista seems to be missing after installing Window 7

You need to use the bootsect utility that comes on the Vista or Windows 7 disk to make the flash drive bootable. For that you need to download BCDEDIT a simple small free tool, that seems to fix all vista and win 7 boot issues very easily..Usually if you already have Vista installed and then install Windows 7 onto another partition you create a dual boot system and the BCD file is updated accordingly. If you could borrow a Vista CD, then you could run the startup repair which would probably fix your problem.
Old 07-12-2009

When you next boot yuor PC a menu should appear giving you the option to boot into either Vista or Windows 7. You can either restore you computer by clicking Start--> All Programs--> Accessories --> System Tools--> System Restore or Pressing Alt->Ctrl->del And selecting system restore and restore you system.
Old 07-12-2009

I would suggest not using that disc, you should get a proper recovery disc for Vista & not the restoration disc supplied by the manufacturer, that is what you need to fix issues like the one you have. If you get the message "NTOSKRNL.EXE is missing, or corrupt," the culprit is usually the BOOT.INI file: Either it's missing, or its internal pointer to the NT system files is incorrect.
Old 07-12-2009

Is That Windows Vista And Windows 7 Shares on The Same Windows Master Boot Record,So By Upgrading,You may Have Destroyed The Master Boot Record. For more information on the above issue, you can check out the following link. You can use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) to troubleshoot and repair the following items in Windows Vista or Windows 7.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , ,