Thread: Choosing linux distro

Choosing linux distro

Hello,
    I am really fed-up with Vista on my laptop, I want to install linux but I confused in the choice of the linux distrib. I have already a few hours of flying on Ubuntu. I would like to install a version which I could plan and work a little on the network and security, which would allow me to use all the features of my laptop (WiFi among others ...). I have a Toshiba Satellite A300-23U. Any help on this or any suggestion or advice for which distro to choose.
    Last edited by Ameeryan; 04-12-2009 at 02:41 PM.

Re: Choosing linux distro

Hi
    There are many linux distro available, Ubunut is the most famous of them. You can try that, its good operating system. But i like is the Mandriva, it is just superb. You have to try mandriva. You can download the cd and just try to run the operating system. The option in mandriva will be test the cd once, which will allow you to boot without installation.

Hi
    Ok, I would try it once I'd put a CD for download. But do you know if my wifi or other features on my pc would be compatible with Mandriva? Any advice.

Hi
    I can not tell you confirm that your wifi will work with it because i do not have a laptop, I have no problems with the operating system. Anyway, with the cd one (live) test all before you install, you will have no surprises. And post after you have installed the operating system.

Hi
    I downloaded the live CD (GNOME version). My PC runs and gets property on the windowing system which asks me if I boot mandriva 2010 or boot from SD. So I click boot mandriva 2010, and then nothing, I get a window with an animation showing me that the PC is currently considering, but nothing after, I get a black screen with a simple "-" at the top On the left. What is the problem? Any idea about this.

Hi
    I do not know much about mandriva, but I had the same problem when I was in ubuntu
    The problem may occur if graphics card not supported the acpi.
    You have three options:
    - You find option to disable, that it will work.
    - You test the installation in text mode.
    - You choose another distrib.
    In this case I can not help you more, I do not know mandriva.