Thread: Windows 7 Desktop Gadgets disappeared

Windows 7 Desktop Gadgets disappeared

I have upgraded my laptop to Windows 7 Beta, recently. The installation was smooth and quite fast then windows xp but after installing i can't select desktop gadgets on my desktop. I have tried to restart my laptop two to three times but no fix... Does any one know why Windows 7 Desktop Gadgets disappeared.

Re: Windows 7 Desktop Gadgets disappeared

The disappearing icons trick also works if you rename an icon. Logging off and back on sometimes returns the icon to the desktop. Or Turn User Account Control on, User Account Control (UAC) can help you prevent unauthorized changes to your computer. It works by prompting you for permission when a task requires administrative rights, such as installing software or changing settings that affect other users.

If a Windows 7 user disables User Account Control, the built-in gadgets in Windows Explorer no longer work.Open the Registry Editor, or regedit.exe. You can search for regedit in the Start Menu. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Sidebar\Settings > Right-click and create a new DWORD (32-Bit) Value called AllowElevatedProcess. Right-click AllowElevatedProcess and click Modify. Set the value to 1. Close the registry editor. Your gadgets should work with UAC off now.

I would suggest you run Registry Mechanic for Windows, With Registry Mechanic you can safely clean, repair and optimize the Windows registry are a common cause of Windows crashes, You can then use regular scans to keep your registry structured and your PC speeding along at peak efficiency.