Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2009
Members

Windows 7 Desktop Icons rearrange on reboot

After installing windows 7 on my computer i have noticed that Windows 7 Desktop Icons rearrange on reboot. Whenever i reboot my pc all the icons ( office, power point and game icon) rearrange themselves. Is this any virus issue or any registry settings in windows for icons.
Old 04-12-2009

Re: Windows 7 Desktop Icons rearrange on reboot

Usually a symptom of Explorer, icon crashing & restarting...any clues in the Event Log? But try this first Right click your desktop, you have auto arrange checked for the arrange icons...check on arrange by date or size and rearrange them where you want them and once you reboot, the icons should gets stable.
Old 04-12-2009

When you boot your computer into Safe mode and then restart your computer into normal mode, the icons on the desktop may be arranged differently. This behavior occurs because the desktop icon locations are stored in the Shelliconcache file. This file is automatically deleted and re-created when you boot your computer into Safe mode. Check this Microsoft guide for more information : Desktop Icons May Be Rearranged
Old 04-12-2009

You can choose which icons appear on the desktop—you can add or remove an icon at any time. The only workaround is to use a third-party utility that manages icon position. Fences allowing you to draw areas on your desktop, It easily organizes your icons into separate windows on your desktop, either automatically or manually Fences isn't perfect, but it is a very capable, and currently free, solution.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , ,