Thread: Drive free space is missing in Windows 7

Drive free space is missing in Windows 7

I have installed 160 gb Hitachi hard disk on my hp desktop and running windows 7. The problem is Drive "free space" is missing in Windows Explorer, I am sure around 80 gb space is free on my disk, i have tried to check the disk space from device manager, only 82 gb is reserved. Where's the other 80GB?

Re: Drive free space is missing in Windows 7

Go to Control Panel -> Internet Options and on the first tab, delete the Temporary Internet Files. Run Disk Cleanup or run Chkdsk command. Chkdsk (Chkdsk.exe) is a command-line tool that checks volumes for problems. The tool then tries to repair any that it finds. To use Chkdsk, you must log on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.

Go to My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > View > and check "Display the contents of System Folders" and "Show hidden files and folders", then Apply or OK. This way you can see any potentially harmful files that may have been unknowingly stored on your computer. Computer will then show the total contents of your drive without having to go to DOS. Or try Scan for disk corruption. From Windows Explorer, right-click on the disk drive, select properties, select tools and check for errors. (Do not normally select recover damaged sectors.)

If Drive "free space" is missing in Windows Explorer then you need scan your hard disk. Scan Disk is one of the most common maintenance tools bundled in an operating system such as Windows. This is an application that is used in checking the hard drive of your computer for errors.