Thread: Windows Backup Error 0x81000015 on Windows 7

Windows Backup Error 0x81000015 on Windows 7

I've recently upgraded from Windows home premium 64 bit to Windows 7. I am attempting to perform a backup of my system to an external Western Digital USB 1 TB drive and am getting errors all the time. When i attempt to create a windows backup file for my OS and data files, the application fails and is get the following error: (0x81000015) "Windows Backup could not create a zip file. Why i'm getting Windows backup error 0x81000015 on Windows 7? Any idea about it? Kindly help me out to resolve the above issue. Thanks.

Re: Windows Backup Error 0x81000015 on Windows 7

The update is that we were able to reproduce the problem when we installed certain third party software. You may receive a Error Deleting File or Folder message while the files are being deleted. This just means that one of the files is in use by a program right now. Use the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to determine which file is causing the issue, and then replace the file. Click OK, close all open programs, and repeat the steps above. If you still receive the message, try restarting your PC and repeating the process again. Uninstall all other compressions utilities you have installed.

You may receive a Error Deleting File or Folder message while the files are being deleted. Try turning off your Antivirus and other compression software before you run backup, from what I can gather it's an issue with some 3rd party software that's been installed on Windows 7. This just means that one of the files is in use by a program right now. Click OK, close all open programs, and repeat the steps above. If you still receive the message, try restarting your PC and repeating the process again.

Your anti-virus or compression program is interfering with the backup process. Try to run Disk Cleanup. The following procedure cleans up files associated with your user account. You can also use Disk Cleanup to clean up all the files on your computer. Try unassociating your compression program with Zip files and turning off your anti-virus while running the backup. You might need to set up Windows to use its internal boot manager.

Quote Originally Posted by cornto View Post
    I've recently upgraded from Windows home premium 64 bit to Windows 7. I am attempting to perform a backup of my system to an external Western Digital USB 1 TB drive and am getting errors all the time. When i attempt to create a windows backup file for my OS and data files, the application fails and is get the following error: (0x81000015) "Windows Backup could not create a zip file. Why i'm getting Windows backup error 0x81000015 on Windows 7? Any idea about it? Kindly help me out to resolve the above issue. Thanks.

I had this same error message for months looked all over the internet and didn't find any solutions, but mine turned out to be an easy fix and the error message was no help with finding the problem. I finally looked at the actual error log and saw that it was reporting not backing up files because they already existed in the backup. turns out i was backing up the Libraries and the User folder which duplicated files.

as soon as i changed the settings to only backup Users and not libraries the backup completed with no error

good luck all