Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Choosing the system to start

Operating Systems

Old 03-12-2009

Choosing the system to start

I have dual boot Windows XP and Windows 7, Windows 7 was installed after XP. When starting a menu I wonder if I want to start Windows 7 or an earlier version of Windows, i.e. XP. By default its the line for Windows 7 which is highlighted and I want to change this behavior so that whether it's for earlier versions of Windows that is preset, I would also change the value of the countdown. Under XP I used the boot.ini file (typically C:\boot.ini) but here I have the same boot.ini before installing Windows 7. I think that the bootloader installed by Windows 7 will find the info elsewhere, but where?

Old 03-12-2009

Re: Choosing the system to start

With VistaBootPro 3.3, you can manage the entries at startup. Change the default order, but also rename the entry "earlier version of Windows" in Windows XP, for example.

It's "Vista BootPro", but it works perfectly for Windows 7, since both have the same bootloader (BCD). The boot.ini is not at all concerned and Windows 7 in Vista, so it has not been changed in your case.

VistaBootPro installs on both Windows 7 32-bit and 64 bit, although the file is stamped as Vista 32 bit.
Old 03-12-2009

Thank you for your answer but for reasons I do not want to detail here, I do not want to install third party software. How does this works with just main operating systems?
Old 03-12-2009

By using just the main installation, without installing any third party software it must be intervene directly in command line of BCDEdit. It's pretty heavy at first, but after it is feasible once we understand the principle.

Reference text here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...67(WS.10).aspx

and then, you find various tutorials on the Net.
Old 03-12-2009

I did the same manipulation: Windows 7 installed a new partition. I was already on the XP partition (C:). At the start I also have a menu asking me if I want to start with windows 7 or earlier system, but I can not do anything! The arrows have no effect! So Windows 7 is launched directly. Some one suggested me to use software such as EasyBCB or VistaBootPro (told before also) to solve the problem. I am trying this.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , ,