Thread: VMCX files disappear on USB Hard Drive

VMCX files disappear on USB Hard Drive

Hi
    i am using Windows 7 and I have many VM's on a sub drive. The VMCX files keep themselves deleting, they are sotred in the user\virtual machines folder. Even I was not knowing it, but when I plugged in the usb drive and jumped to the virtual machine folder i found that the files were deleted. Not even I single VMCX were there. Though the folder is on the drive C:. The problem is not that, I have lost the files. I can easily bring the files back to the original location by just double clicking the VMC files which are stored in my usb. the main problem is that they tend to disappear again. Is this is Bug or something different, am I going wrong somewhere? Any help or advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: VMCX files disappear on USB Hard Drive

Hello
    I think if you keep the .vmc files your local operating system would be better rather than keeping them in the usb drive. Even keeping files on the usb driver is not a good practice. You can of-course keep the lage vhd files on the usb drive. If you implement this then you will not loose any vmcx files even if you have not connect the usb drive. Still, if you want to keep the .vmc files on your usb drive, you can do it but, then you do not bother about the .vmcx files you can just strat your vm by double clicking on the .vmc files. I do not understand why you want to keep the files on the usb drive. If you still want to, then this can be the only option. Any more problems do post back.

Dr. V Guest

Hi
    I am not sure about this, but I feel this is because they always search for the vhd files and in your case they can not find one, may be so it is not started. I highly believe that this their expected process to run. If you want to keep the files in the usb, then I think you should change the location of your vmxc files. This should not be a problem for you. And as you say that they recreate themselves, do not worry the create the supporting files which are required to run the program. Try to do this and then check for the problems, if problem is still there then do post back and also post what have you tried to do.

Hi
    I have recently experienced something similar results and would like to provide some of them. I copied the vmc file into the C:\Usr\Virtual Machines, I had copied it form the usb drive and I just double clicked on them and they opened with default as windows virtual pc, by my surprise it had automatically created a vmcx file and that is what i wanted. Actually if thought this will not work with directly coping the files, but they did by creating a new file. This is great. For few days I was searching for a vmc to vmcx converter because i thought that they will miss the dependent files. But no need of the converter now. Just try it, this works very well. I have no problems yet regarding this.