Thread: Problem Installing XP

Problem Installing XP

Hi there,

I am trying to install windows xp on my Gateway T-1424u that comes with Vista.
    I hate vista because I am used to using XP. So I decided to get Xp. Now when I try to install XP, I am stuck in a loop. Ok, I insert the cd, then I go through formatting process. Then once the HDD is reformatted, it reboots to begin installing XP. But, what it does is that instead of proceeding with the installation, it brings me back to the beginning to the part where the HDD is formatted. Then, I press F3 to quit the set up, and then it brings me back to the same screen. I've never come across this problem before. Help me here! Thanks!

Re: Problem Installing XP

This is because first the file is copied and then the Windows XP process is run. After copying the files from the disc Windows launches the set up file. First try to disable Boot option from your BIOS Menu. Enter in your bios and change the first boot device to your hard drive. Then reboot again and try back. It will work.

Re: Problem Installing XP

You would have been trying it as overwriting. Microsoft do not allow 'downgrading' an operating system, so you will need to erase your hard drive, before you install Windows XP on it. Then you may face 'hard drive not found' issue which adds an interesting twist. First of all, backup your all files, favorites, etc. Then use DBAN to wipe your hard drive clean which will delete all files on the hard drive permanently. Once the drive has been erased then try installing Windows XP again.