Thread: Is it possible to revert back to windows boot manager instead of Grub?

Is it possible to revert back to windows boot manager instead of Grub?

Hi, friends I am new to this forums and also I don’t know much about booting so guys please help me out with some solution, I haven’t install Ubuntu but I have seen that when you install side by side option, Ubuntu will use the GRUB to boot, I just want to ask you guys that is it possible to revert back to windows boot manager without removing Ubuntu? So please help me in finding solution.

re: Is it possible to revert back to windows boot manager instead of Grub?

Yes you can it possible to revert back to windows boot manger instead of Grub, but it is complicate to do this but still it’s depend on your skill level. It is easy to stick to the Grub which is more powerful than windows boot manger.

1. Quote Originally Posted by Jezriah View Post
      Yes you can it possible to revert back to windows boot manger instead of Grub, but it is complicate to do this but still it’s depend on your skill level. It is easy to stick to the Grub which is more powerful than windows boot manger.
    2. You are right even I agree with you Grub which is more powerful than windows boot manger, but still if you want to go with windows boot manger then, here are the steps to go to windows boot manger.
    3. Firstly you need working Linux in your PC
    4. So load Linux, You're going to need to grab the start of the boot sector to use later
    5. The command is "dd if=/dev/sdaN of=boot.out bs=512 count=1" where /dev/sdaN is the driver you are booting from and boot.out you are dumping the data to so you can name it anything that you want.
    6. Then you need to copy that out file to drive that is available to windows.
    7. Now you need to fix the MBR on the windows side
    8. Now once to are back to windows boot loader you need to edit the boot.ini.file.
    9. Then you have to fix that the attributes of that file using attrib command.
    10. Once the file is edited you need to add a line to boot.ini.file and it should be something like this "d:\boot.out="Linux".
    11. Now restart your computer.

As it seems to be over my skill level, so I will stick to grub as it is more powerful than windows boot manger, thanks for your cooperation guys, I want to ask you guys one more thing, will I still able to select my operating system from grub boot menu right?

Yes you are able to select my operating system from grub boot menu right, because when it load it lets you to select windows or Linux, at which point it hands things over window boot loader. It has been long time I am doing this because even I have both the operating system in my PC.

The easiest way to revert is to install GRUB at the beginning of the boot partition. Anytime you want to return to booting straight to windows or you can select between windows install to repair boot console from windows CD and run FIXMBR.