Thread: Restore AD after running adprep

unsure Restore AD after running adprep

I am about to extend the schema on my Windows 2003 domain controller. I'm trying to get a solid step-by-step recovery plan if something goes wrong. I've read a lot about backup up using ntbackup, but haven't found any solid restore plans. I would really like to have a solid plan before I extend it.
    Also, I haven't seen much feedback from others about having problems after extending the schema. Anyone have any feedback on this?

Re: Restore AD after running adprep

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

What we think, we become (Please don't think you are a superhero and don't try to fly)

"SUCCESS IS NOT A DESTINATION , IT'S A JOURNEY"

Active Directory is always backed up as a part of system state. It is a collection of system components that depend on each other. You must back up and restore system state components together.You can restore Active Directory by using either the Windows 2000 Server backup utility or another supported utility. Non-authoritative restore or an authoritative restore can also be an another way to do it.

If you delete it from Active Directory Users and Computers Domain controllers, then and only then this authoritative restore will work. If you want you can check out the following link. The only way to restore the schema is to take the domain controllers for which you have backups off the network, restore those domain controllers from backup, demote all remaining domain controllers for which you do not have backups, place the restored domain controllers back on the network, and then promote any domain controllers that you demoted. However, any changes made after the backups were taken will be lost.