Thread: Amarok on Fedora 12

Amarok on Fedora 12

Hi
    I used to work on Ubuntu with gnome, but recently switched to fedora with the KDE environment. Yes, there are no problems with ubuntu, but I wanted to explore an rpm package based operating system, so that's the only reason why I switched to fedora. Currently I am running Fedora 12 wiht KDE as my default desktop environment. I have MP3 codec from Fluendo and I would love to use it in amarok in Fedora 12 to listen to my music. My iPod shuffle does not support the OOG file format so I am forced to use MP3 file format. Now my question is, does Amarok use the Gstreamer out of the box. Or is it that I have to change something so I can install fluendo and listen to my music? Or do I have to do something different so that I am able to play my mp3 files. Any advice or suggestions on this, so that I can enjoy my music.

Re: Amarok on Fedora 12

Hi
    I am using KDE as my default desktop environment along with ubuntu. And I play songs with Amarok and I love it. It is a great audio player and you can feel it when you listen to it. Amarok uses Xine as it backend. so will have to install the xine extras from the RPMfusion so that you can run amarok. Firstly you have to add the repositories of RPM fuison and the GPG keys so that the repositories are enabled and once you are done with repositories you can issue the following command.
    Code:
    yum install xine xine-lib-extras xine-lib-extras-freeworld
    This will make you install the xine and its libraries and now you are ready to listen to the music. Enjoy music and Amorak. Any problems do post back.

Hi
    I do not work on Fedora operating system. I work on Mandriva. if I am not mistaken the fluendo codec is a gstreamer codec. I use the fluendo gstreamer codec with Amarok in my operating system, Mandriva. But for that you have to choose phonon-gstreamer as you back end so that amarok can work on it. You may have to install the phonon - gstreamer first. This will definitely work on Mandriva as I have tired it on my operating system. But as I said earlier I am not sure it will work on Fedora because I do not use it. At-least you can try, it may happen that it works in fedora also. Any more queries then do post back.

Hi
    Yes buddy that works in fedora also. But I have another alternative to this. if you use amarok in gnome you can avoid installation of xine. All you have to do is just switch backend in the preferences. You can even try Exaile, when i compared exaile to amarok, i switched from amarok to exaile. Exaile is based on gnome libraries. So, you will not need the Kde libraries and it is as good as amarok. It is the default audio player in new ubuntu. Any problems further do post back and ya, try the exaile player you will not be disappointed for sure.