Thread: Volume too loud in fedora 12

Volume too loud in fedora 12

Hi
    I was using Fedora 11 for a long time and I have recently upgraded my system form Fedora 11 to Fedora 12. But I am now having some problems with my system sound. When i was using Fedora 11 I would set my volume to 60% and could hear the sound clearly. But below 45% I could hardy hear something. Truly speaking 45% was a comfortable listening level for me. The main problem is that now if I keep my volume below 20% I can not hear anything and if I make it just more than 20%, then it blasts that is very loud. So loud volume was approximately equivalent to 80% in Fedora 11. Any one has any ideas about this. Any suggestion please post.
    Last edited by Kingfisher; 30-11-2009 at 10:28 AM.

Re: Volume too loud in fedora 12

Hi
    I ma using fedora 12, but do not think the same is the problem with me. This is the first time I heard a volume problem with Fedora 12. Still, you can try the following:
    As a regular user use this command in the terminal
    Code:
    alsamixer -c0
    Note- it is a zero number after the alphabet c in the above command.
    You can try even to turn down the pcm and maybe the front slider. This may help in resolving the problem. If not do post back and If you have solved the problem then post how you solved it, so that if others have the same problem then they can use it to.

Hi
    Even I have recently upgraded my system from Fedora 11 to Fedora 12. I have the same problem of the volume with my Fedora 12 system. I am using Fedora 12 on my EeePc 900a and my workstation. I was using Fedora 11 on both of them and I did not encountered such problems there. But in Fedora 12 when I start my mplayer from the command line, I do not know why but it starts with a full volume and I have to manually set it back to decrease the volume. This is the case when every time I start the mplayer, may be by default it takes 100% volume. This is very annoying especially when I use my EeePc as a clock radio!. Any ideas or suggestion to solve this problem. I like mplayer very much, but do not think I will like the 100% volume at the startup. Please guys if you know how to fix the problem please do post.

Hi
    I have upgraded my system to Fedora 12, but I have noticed this problem only with mplayer. More precisely i think this is happening when I updated my pulseaudio drivers a few days before. I am not sure about this, but i feel this might be the problem. I tried setting the volume to a specific value to 30%, for example in the mplayers cofig file, unfortunately it did not work. Finally I changed my audi driver to alsa and it worked for me. If you want to change the drivers then add this line the config file
    Code:
    'ao=alsa'
    Optionally you can run mplayer with '-ao alsa' option.