Thread: Problem in network sharing in Windows 7

Problem in network sharing in Windows 7

I have a problem in network sharing in Windows 7 home edition. I have 2 other computers, one with Windows XP and other with Windows Sever 2003 installed on them. When I try to access the data of those systems using network sharing, I am getting a message to enter username and password. When I enter these requirements, it is not accepting them and is prompting me to enter them again. I cannot understand where the problem lies because when I checked the settings related to network, everything seemed to be correct.
    Last edited by Elbanco; 28-11-2009 at 04:35 AM.

Re: Problem in network sharing in Windows 7

There has always been a problem in network sharing in Windows 7 home edition. But sill you can configure it by doing the following steps:
    • Go to start, then run and type regedit.
    • There, you need to browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
    • A new value for DWORD needs to be created along with the properties as shown: NAME: LmCompatibilityLevel, VALUE: 1
    • Now, restart your system and try to do the connection once again look if you can transfer the files.

The Home group feature is not compatible with XP and Vista. That is why there is a problem in network sharing in Windows 7 with the home edition. Inorder to transfer the files between, XP and Windows 7 , you have to use Windows 7 x64 RC1 and XP Professional SP3 along with a basic Linksys home wireless router. Then, you have to make sure that both the systems are on the same Workgroup or not. Keep the same name in both the Workgroup option and then, try sharing the files.

I suppose that the problem in network sharing in Windows 7 is the protection that you have kept for the sharing of files. If you want to have access for sharing files on any of the systems that you are using then, turn off the password protection. You can do this by going to Advanced Sharing Settings which is located down the list. After doing this when you look in the network in windows 7, then you should be able to see both the systems that you have connected in the network.