Thread: How to repair a multiple boot installation?

How to repair a multiple boot installation?

I was running only 1 OS, Windows XP and afterwards I installed another OS, Windows Vista in another drive. The problems are:
    • I do not get a usual screen that displays as to which OS to start, instead it goes directly to the Windows XP startup. That means Vista never loads.
    • Secondly, After installing this second OS, the drives have been automatically rearranged. So, most programs have been encountering a problem for "Cannot Find Target".

So, I need a solution onto how to repair this multiple boot installation.

Re: How to repair a multiple boot installation?

I know how to get into an installed Vista with this problem but, do not know how to repair a multiple boot installation.
    You require an VISTA installation CD of an AISBackup which has the original boot menu, that is a file known as C:\boot.in. This C:\boot.in is a hidden and read-only file. You simply need to start the Vista installation and it is to be noted that Vista will actually not install nor will be replaced. As the setup starts select INSTALL WINDOWS VISTA. The installation option has to be changed to NEW INSTALLATION(ADVANCED). The online instructions need to be followed until the screen comes where it need to re-boot the system. Here press ESC. At this time load the backup that you had saved and then select the option replace duplicates. The folder $WIN_NT$.~BT has to be deleted.
    Now it will load into Vista.

Its very simple learn how to repair a multiple boot installation. Just do as follows:
    1. Insert the Windows Vista Installation CD and start Vista.
    2. Now, select next.
    3. Here, select the option, REPAIR YOUR COMPUTER.
    4. Next, you will get a display of SEARCHING FOR WINDOWS.
    5. Select REPAIR and then REBOOT your system.
    6. The above steps need to be done 2-4 times.
    7. This time select START REPAIR
    8. This should hopefully repair the Multiple Boot Menu.

You cannot see the multiple boot installation menu when the system starts. Even I do not think that if there any way how we can repair this MULTIPLE BOOT INSTALLATION. I suppose that your system load file must have become corrupted. Or another problem may also be that you must have accidentaly installed both the OS into the same drive. This can cause lots of problems. The best way to recover from this is to format both the drives in which you had installed your OS and then reinstall both the operating systems.
    After that you may get your multiple boot menu.