Thread: Does MAC has BIOS

Does MAC has BIOS

Hi,
    Like Windows computer system, MAC has a BIOS system in it. I have never looked that. But I just read up a mail which shows that MAC system does not have BIOS in them. I think this can create upgrading issue in the system. In Windows at least I get the attached hardware plus I can configure them. But in the same case if a user adds up a new hard drive then how does he will troubleshoot if the drive is not detected or not supported. Thanks in advance.

Re: Does MAC has BIOS

Everyone knows that the majority of PCs sold today still have and always a BIOS. And it's the same BIOS that is responsible to read the MBR, that it uses to load the OS into memory. Yes MAC does not have a BIOS system. And they use bootent in place of MBR. After stopping the use of Intel processor this thing was excluded. Apple has chosen not to use the BIOS, but to use the EFI. EFI stands for Extensible Firmware Interface.

But for manufacturers they have to adopt RIL would require the OS support EFI. And until proven otherwise, the OS has the largest market share right now is Windows. And, according to the Microsoft site, only versions of Windows Server 2003 and 2008 supports EFI for the Intel Itanium platform. This excludes the Intel Core 2 Duo, which are those that are found on most PCs sold today. Windows Server 2008 should also support the Core 2 Duo processors from Intel.

Another advantage of using EFI instead of BIOS, is in his first letter, E, which means Extensible. Apple could then extend the functionality of the EFI on Macs to offer the same features that it already offered on PowerPC Macs. The Target Mode (the ability to turn your Mac into FireWire drive when connected to another Mac). In addition to using EFI instead of BIOS, Intel also greatly encouraged that supports the EFI GPT. GPT stands for GUID P artites T able. GUID is also short for Global Unique Identifier. Vista Dual Boot