Thread: What is expanded memory manager and what is its use ?

What is expanded memory manager and what is its use ?

Hi, i am having a computer at home with Windows 98 operating system. Whenever i am trying to play a game called 'Might And Magic', the system gives me an error message saying "you require more expanded memory." I performed disk check at several time but it could not solve my problem. So please suggest something. Thanks for all your helps...

Re: What is expanded memory manager?what is a use of it

Extended memory manager is a device driver which allows MS-DOS computers to use expanded memory. Extended memory manager is used in Intel 80286 and lower computers. EMM386.EXE is a MS-DOS memory manager used with Intel 80386 computers. 386 computers or higher computer requires software memory manager.

Why don't you get rid of Windows 98,, just install atleast Windows Xp, dude. In Windows 98, you have to change properties of the setup file to allocate memory compatibility. You can use MSDOS 6.22. You have to install it and run MEMMAKER. There is chances the game will run. If you get a divide overflow error 200, it means your PC is too fast for that game. So if you want to play game which requires MS- DOS then you have to install MSDOS 6.22.

You don't require boot disk to start in DOS on a 98 machine because it has its own DOS. You can adjust the settings for DOS from Windows or else start in DOS by pressing the F8 key to invoke the start up menu. In DOS expanded memory can be configured by setting expanded memory manager in c:\config.sys Use following setting-
    DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
    DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.exe RAM
    DOS=HIGH, UMB
    If you can not start the game in DOS then you have to configured mouse, keyboard.