Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

How to Remove Invalid Entries from Add/Remove Programs

Operating Systems

Old 18-11-2009

How to Remove Invalid Entries from Add/Remove Programs

Hello,

I am using Windows XP on my computer. Recently, I removed several programs by using the Add/Remove programs feature in control Panel. Problem is that when I log in as Adminstrator it doesn't appear in the list. I have tried with regedit but I can't find it with it. How can I Remove Invalid Entries from Add/Remove Programs ?

Old 18-11-2009

Re: How to Remove Invalid Entries from Add/Remove Programs

The best way to remove Invalid Entries is to re-install Windows from scratch. Otherwise, I would avoid using registry cleaners. Try CleanUp utility called Magic Speed, go back into Add/Remove. If the application is still in the list, select it and see if you now have an option to delete the entry. There really is no protection against deleting important and critical data.
Old 18-11-2009

Invalid entries occur when a program installed on your computer is not properly uninstalled, try Start / Programs and see if they are summoned, you may have deleted files how to program in C: \ Program Files instead of uninstalling form Add / Remove Programs. Also see if there is a folder with disabilities programs in the Start / Programs menu. If you find them anywhere just right click them and choose Delete.
Old 18-11-2009

To remove a program reference Invalid Entries from Add/Remove Programs:
1. Start Registry Editor (Regedit.exe).
2. Locate the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
3. Locate the key to be deleted by locating the key name created by the program. If the name of the key is not apparent, browse through each key and note the value for DisplayName. This is the viewable string in the Add/Remove Programs tool.
4. Using the Registry menu, export the selected registry key to make a backup. Store the .reg file in a safe location in case you need to import it at a later date.
5. Delete the selected registry key and its values. Do not delete the entire Uninstall key.
6. Quit Registry Editor.
7. Verify that the reference in the Add/Remove Programs tool is no longer visible.
Old 18-11-2009
kimlotus

Hi,

At your risk, however regularly practiced.

1- Reboot after dis-install & use a save registry cleaning tool.

2- Use Registry Crawler or similar & search for the SW name as well as for the editor name (! when multiple SW's from the same editor are installed). Remove all remaining registry entries. Be careful, for it is the most risky step of this process. (Regedit is embedded in Registry Crawler although not used in this process).

3- Make a search with the SW name/editor name - depending on the install - on the system drive & remove all entries.

Lastly, Regedit is located in c:\windows

Does it help? Cheers!

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , ,