Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 17-11-2009

Data Recovery Question

I recently encountered a serious problem; my version of Windows Vista has ceased to load and before I reformat my drive, reinstall and just keep plugging along, I wanted to try to get some of my files off of the harddrive (school work, the like).

So, I bought a SATA - USB recovery tool and when I connected it, the new computer recognizes the harddrive, but I am unable to access my old files. I feel confident they are they are still there, since the drive knows how full it is, but it doesn't seem to want to show them to me.

I think the problem is that my user profile is password protected and therefore won't allow the new computer to access said files, but I don't know how to get around that.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, I really don't want to have to do all of these projects over again.

Thanks.
Old 18-11-2009

Re: Data Recovery Question

Try to reboot your system in Safe-Mode. In this mode all the programs that belong to the third party are not allowed to run. To go to Safe Mode, reboot your system. When the intial screen of the computer manufacturer appears keep tapping F8 key. Then using your up-down arrow key on keyboard select Safe-Mode. Once your system boots in Safe-Mode all your desktop icons will appear large in size. Now run a full system scan to check for any virus or trojan that may be violating you from gaining acces to your files.
Old 18-11-2009

Re: Data Recovery Question

I cannot load in safe mode either; it doesn't make it onto a loading screen. I have been trying to do it via SATA cable to access my information from another computer.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , ,