Thread: Windows 7 with 256 MB RAM?

Windows 7 with 256 MB RAM?

Hello friends, I have been using Windows XP since a long time now. I have been thinking of buying a new computer and installing Windows 7 on to it. But i want to first try and see if Windows 7 is friendly for me. For Windows 7 atleast 512 MB ram is required with extra graphics card. But i have only 256 MB Memory and 128MB Graphics card on this old machine of mine. How can i install Windows 7 on this computer of mine that is Windows 7 with 256 MB RAM?. Any suggestions are welcomed!

Re: Windows 7 with 256 MB RAM?

Windows 7 is a bit heavy on resource then Windows XP. It is lighter the Vista thought. It is not possible to setup Windows 7 on a computer with such a low configuration. If you just want to try Windows 7 for some time, All you can do is, borrow 256MB of memory from a friend or colleague and install Windows 7. Use it for some days, and then return the memory. If you feel Windows 7 is compatibly with you, go ahead and buy it with the new machine... Else go for Windows XP or whichever OS you use...

I also want to try Windows 7 before i buy it. Any way to install it on my current computer which has Windows XP. My computer is AMD Sempron 1.7Ghz Processor and only 256MB memory. I am also planning to buy a new computer. I have seen Windows 7 at a friends place and i think i like it, but i want to get my hands on it for some while. Any way to install it on a low specs computer. Help is much appreciated...

I don't think i have anyone around who still uses a computer with DDR1 RAM. All my friends have upgraded their computer long back and also its not possible to get a memory which is SD-RAM. As my motherboard has both slots, but i use DDR1 256MB RAM. I need 256MB DDR1 RAM and if i get SD-RAM i will need whole 512MB, as i cannot use both DDR1 and SD-RAM in combination. Also if i get a 256MB DDR1 RAM from some friend, i will not be able to keep it for more then a couple of hours... Any other way around?

Ok, That is a good idea. You do not need the RAM for Mmore time. Get the memory and install it on the system. Install Windows 7 and wait for the setup to complete. Now once the setup is complete. You can shutdown the computer. Now remove the other memory and just keep your memory in the computer. Now start the computer again and let Windows 7 boot. It will work a bit slower, but now Windows 7 will work without 512MB RAM. I Hope this is of use...

There is one more way to do this. Every Windows Setup has an XML file which has all the variables mentioned which are checked when the windows setup starts. You can alter this XML file and change the memory check limit from 512MB to 256MB. I had done this with Windows Vista a long back so don't remember where the XML file is located, but this works...

louise071 Guest

512 is recommended i guess. But it could run 256. Just that, a bit laggy i guess. Much better than vista which requires 1gb of RAM. why don't you just upgrade your RAM to another 256?