Thread: Missing or corrupt c_437.nls

Missing or corrupt c_437.nls

When I try to start Windows xp computer it show an error message and says windows will not start because cp_437.nls is missing or corrupt. I have tried to restart my computer but it shows the same message... What has happened and what is the solution?Can anyone help!!!

Re: Missing or corrupt c_437.nls

*.nls files are language files. All of these files are the languages that XP supports. I.e. Regional and Language Options in the Control Panel. Boot your computer from your Windows installation/repair CD. Copy (your cd drive)\I386\C_437.NLS c:\windows\system32. This assumes your boot drive is 'c' and you have cabinet files present in a c:\I386 directory.

It sounds like one of two things might be happening: You have a bad hard drive or The install CD is corrupted. Boot your computer from your Windows installation CD > Select 'R' for the recovery console and log on as administrator > At the command prompt type the following: EXPAND -R D:\I386\c_437.nl_ C:\WINDOWS\system32\c_437.nls. Once the system is done expanding the file, reboot your PC.

• Insert the Windows XP CD, and then restart the computer. If you are prompted, select any options that you must select to start Windows XP from the CD.
    • When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the instructions that appear on the screen. To select the repair or the recover option, press R.
    • If you have a dual-start or multiple-start computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console.
    • When prompted, type the Administrator password.
    • At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press the ENTER key:
    • chkdsk /r
    • To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit, and then press the ENTER key.

Check this Microsoft guide for more information : Error: "C_1252.nls File Missing or Corrupt" During Startup