Thread: Cisco AnyConnect VPN client causes BSOD

Cisco AnyConnect VPN client causes BSOD

I posted this because I am having some issue with the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client. We have been using to from the past and till last week it was trouble free. I have a few acquaintances at a customer site and they have to employ AnyConnect 2.4.x to right to use the customer’s network. From the past several days some means 4 users have been getting blue green after they successfully connected to our customer network. In order to connect to the customer network they have to launch the client and provide identification for authorization. They can launch Internet Explorer to access the web. But now when they launch IE after giving credentials they getting Blue Screen and the system will restarts. I couldn’t able to find what the problem is. Another thing is that among 4 users the 2 users have AT&T Global Dialer installed in. But I am not sure whether this causing the problem or not. Do you any idea about it? Please provide us a solution. We need it to be resolved as soon as possible.

Re: Cisco AnyConnect VPN client causes BSOD

Are you getting any kind of error message on that BSOD? Any kind of STOP code? Is the BSOD is listing any kind of .dll or .sys or any files? If the computer will going to restart upon the BSOD means it has been settled to reboot when the system shows BSOD. At this time you will be no longer able to see any kind of error message or note them down. It might be helpful if you get that error message or codes, so that we can reason what the particular problem is. Because there are several reasons to get BSOD on your computer.

If you are getting any kind of frequent issues in Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client i urge you to contact the Cisco service provider first otherwise refer the troubleshooting guide from their site. If it is the really as issue of the software then try to update it first. If you want to deep analyze the issue then check Minidumps with WinDbg. I hope that you know what these are. You can find the Minidumps in Windows file as .dmp extension. It is actually a system file. Analyze this file with Windows debugger. These are especially used for user mode programs or applications.

First of all I want to tell you that get a latest version of AnyConnect. I assume that you still didn’t have the latest (2.5.1025) version yet. I think that the latest version 2.5 series of AnyConnect has changed it s name. It is now called as AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client works as same but came with different name. The BSOS only appears when there is a bug in some system or application file. You need to find out that BUG in order to get rid of the issue.

The Microsoft has created WinDbg (Windows debugger) for its OS when the system shows Blue screen of Death. You can use it for debugging kernel mode memory dumps in Windows. The BSOD usually appears when there is BUG check has been located. You can also use it for some user mode crashes or dumps. The errors are .dll files is the main reason for BSOD. You can easily analyze these files using some command line debugger version. I hope that you will find a way to use WinDbg.

For a BSOD issue I think you should do the following things in your computer.
    • Boot the system in safe mode
    • Start Autoruns, and choose Drivers tab
    • In the driver list uncheck the drivers that are distrustful;
    • After that close the program, restart and boot computer normally.

You need to repeat this process until you resolve the BSOD. There are several reasons in Windows for this issue other than AnyConnect. Some of the Non Microsoft and third party drivers which don’t have publishers name in it are the basic reasons. Do not use drivers those don’t have descriptions in it and shows unsuspicious path location when installing. Ger rid of those first to make things better.