Thread: Windows 7 64-bit cannot be installed

Windows 7 64-bit cannot be installed

I took a break from my computer problems and decided to help my best friend install his first OS. The afternoon passed by backing up all his data to an external hard disk, After the restart we used the Win7 Home Premium 64-bit install disk. We formatted the first partition and installed Windows on it. Windows labeled it as "System" partition. Now during the installation process, the system froze at 66% when it was in extraction phase. I don't know what is wrong, i waited for about an hour and then the mouse froze. I restarted the machine and then again at 66% it froze. I want to install Windows 7, Please help...

Re: Windows 7 64-bit cannot be installed

The first step is to check if your computer has the minimum system requirement that Windows 7 need. If everything is ok with it, you can proceed with the Installation. Recommended System Configuration : Windows 7 requires 2GB of RAM and 2Ghz Processor to function well. If you have 1GB RAM a graphics card will be required. If you have 2GB RAM, then it will do without extra graphics card [onboard graphics will do] in such case. Check your system specification and post back...

I think the computer at my friend's place is capable to install Windows 7 without trouble. The system configuration at my friend's place is as follows : Intel Core2Duo 2.66Ghz, 2GB DDRII RAM, 512MB GeForce GFX Card 500GB+160GB Hard Disks, Sony 16x DVD-Writer, Isn't this configuration enough? I shouldn't have asked this, as i have windows 7 installed on the same config but without graphics card at my place. Also I tested this same DVD and the DVD works too. I just installed Windows 7 on my computer after it failed to install on my friends machine, so that means the DVD is working all well. Any other ideas?

I think you need to check your DVD-RW, Does it work correctly? If yes then it may be your memory problem. When the extraction process is taking place, All the files from the DVD are copied to RAM and then extracted and then copied to the hard disk. I think here, RAM and hard disk both are closely related, bad memory and bad hard disk can cause this kind of problem. I hope this helps you pin point the exact problem. As your machine is similar to your friend's machine, you can interchange the parts and see which part is at problem...

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it out right-away. But if none of the mention hardware is at trouble then what shall i do? I will first try to load Default Settings from BIOS and see if that has any trouble, I had tweaked our motherboards for more Processor Frequency.. Thanks anyways...